Monday, March 4, 2013

French Onion Soup

Okay, so you've already heard my rants and ravings on Lipton Onion Dip.  By now, you should be able to tell that I <3 onions!  This post is about my attempt at French onion soup.  I made it using beef broth, chicken broth, butter (that gives a lot of the flavor), and 3 onions!  It's a time-consuming project (you have to simmer it for almost an hour), but it's perfect on a cold day.
I couldn't eat it the day I made it, so my mom put it in the fridge.  When I took it out in the morning to check on it ("Hello, honey.  How are you doin...Aaack!"), this is what it looked like:
The white stuff on top is the butter, and it rose to the top of the soup and solidified into a layer of solid butter.  Of course, naturally I freaked out (what if you found a layer of solid butter on your baby? haha) but my mom told me that if you just heat it, you melt the butter and it's fine (whew!).
False alarm ;)
It was fine, and it was good, too.  I didn't have any provolone or Swiss to melt on it, but I used cheddar, which my mom usually buys.  And of course, I had to make croutons.  And these, I tell you, are the best croutons ever:
 
 
They may look ordinary to you, but don't be deceived!  They're in disguise.  They have garlic powder and butter on them, and the cookbook I used (Teens Cook) sure nailed it on the head with those.  I could really just take them out of the container and eat them like chips ;)
Look up an easy French onion soup recipe and try it! 
-Rcubed

1 comment:

  1. YUM! You should make a logo for yourself!! And nice new background!

    ReplyDelete