Sunday, May 5, 2013

Make, Bake, Take, For Goodness' Sake

After yesterday, and during today, all I can say is one word:

Gargoyles.

Yesterday was really hectic, really long, and really tiring (I was so pooped yesterday!).  The reason for my tiredness was a bake sale.  My friend conducted a bake sale for our church's missions trip, and her idea was: bake, take to her siblings' soccer games, and sell.

Well...

I woke up at 7, after a tiring Friday.  I'd baked and packaged my blueberry muffins and chocolate-chip-cookies-on-a-stick (I'd made the batter the day before), and well, I had to use the oven in 90-degree weather.  I had a headache, and the entire process took hours.  And I'm meaning literal hours.

I had to skip tennis to do my bake sale stuff.

I woke up with a sore throat, a dry but runny nose, and a tired disposition.  After reclining in silence with a bowl of chunky vanilla-flavored granola and Pride and Prejudice, I hopped into my friend's car and was immediately off to one of the two soccer games planned.  My day took off from there.

We arrived fairly early.  After arranging our wares (along with my blueberry muffins and chocolate-chip-cookies-on-a-stick, my friend had made banana-chocolate-chip muffins and Rice Krispies) in a borrowed vintage-looking wagon, we pulled our way to the field.

Our selling started as the games did.  There were three games going on at one time, and so it was the perfect place to sell.  We went around calling, "Muffins!  Cookies!  Rice Krispies!"  Our first sale (a blueberry muffin) went to a nice-looking Asian mom with a son.

This was one of the first times with hands-on experience for me, and after that I formed a couple of opinions on selling like that (on the people buying, the way people sell things, and overall business). 

1) The experience is great, but for the amount of work, the profits aren't worth it.  We made around $35, a good haul, but for me, squeezing the baking, packaging, and selling into an already-packed schedule just wasn't worth it.  My friend tries to do this every week, but since I'm very busy, I don't think I'd dig it too much.  And we contributed all funds to our church's mission trip...not counting the time and money used to actually make the wares.

2) People selling products cannot be too aggressive.  We went around at a slow pace, shouting every couple seconds.  Salespeople should not do that.  To a certain extent, salespeople should be aggressive, but not so aggressive that they're overbearing and annoying.  Once people hear us, that fact registers in their brains.  It's up to them to stop us and buy.  We're the ones advertising; they're the ones doing the buying. 

3) Consumers should not seem interested and not do anything afterward.  In a couple instances, some people would ask us why we were selling.  We'd tell them, and they'd be, eh, okay, I've got my answer; now you can move on.  It's not a completely terrible practice, but still, it is inconvenient for the people selling.  It gives them false hope (which plummets down), and it is a bit inconsiderate on the consumers' part.

After the game, my friend and I targeted the exits.  I managed to make two dollars off one family, but apart from that, I didn't really make anything (I'm not the "up-in-your-face" kind of person). 

The next game was extremely slow (although we managed to sell off the blueberry muffins and I think most of the other stuff). 

Overall, it was an interesting learning experience, and although I'm too busy to do it again now, I think that I'll be excited to do it again sometime soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment