Friday, May 31, 2013

New Fave Restaurant...Slater's 50/50!!!!

Don't ask me why they named it that.  Although the restaurant's name is...a bit unusual, the food is seriously legit.

The first second you hear what their 'thing' is, you might think it's a big gimmick.  But although it's a gimmick, it's a seriously good gimmick.

Get this: Slater's 50/50 sells burgers.  But not just ordinary burgers (although they sell those, too).  They sell an expert 50/50 patty--half ground beef, half bacon.

My dad took me there the other day after over one hour of tennis on a practically empty stomach (I was starving).  

At Slater's 50/50, you can build your own burger (and even name it), or you can choose from their small but select menu.  The menu isn't as huge as other chain restaurants like Mimi's Cafe, but it's enough to drop your jaw.  There is the 50/50 burger, which has avocado and sunny-side-up egg with the 50/50 patty.  That's what my dad got.  There's the "Peanut Butter and Jellousy" which has, believe it or not, peanut butter and jelly.  There are other burgers, and the descriptions alone are enough to make your mouth water.  Then there are different types of mac'n'cheese.  Those sounded amazing, too.

But at the end of the day, I decided to build my own burger.  I chose the 50/50 patty, whole wheat bread (I wasn't about to go all-out unhealthy), avocado mash (extra $1), coleslaw, grilled and raw onions, something else (I forgot), and chili adobo mayo.  In order to choose, they give you a piece of paper and you check off a limited number of the choices you want.   There were so many choices, and some things I'd never heard of before.  For example, there was "bacon pretzel bread."  I don't think I've ever tried that, but it sounded amazing!  My healthy senses told me to go with the wheat.  There was also a HUGE number of sauces, which, of course, I went crazy over.  Garlic aioli (I don't know what that is, but it sounds good! :), mayo, different types of mayo, and what really surprised (and amazed) me was this choice: Bacon.  Ketchup.

At the bottom of the page, there was a little box that says "Name it!"  
I had no idea why they wanted me to name it--maybe just for kicks, I thought--so I debated (my creative juices were kind of drowsy).  I wanted to make a combination of "ultimate" and "burger," but that didn't work out, so I dubbed it the "Burginator."  Cheesy, but it works, right?

My dad also ordered an appetizer of onion rings and sweet potato fries, both of which had dipping sauces.  The onion rings came with barbecue sauce (I thought it was bacon ketchup) and the fries came with pumpkin sauce (I thought it was chili adobo mayo).  Their sauces are the bomb!

I loved the onion rings because they didn't have bready, doughy, crusty stuff--they had crisp, almost chip-like texture.  They were very very good.  The sweet potato fries were decent too--you can't really go wrong with them.

Then our burgers came.  The guy serving us said, "The 50/50?"  I pointed to my dad.

"The Burginator?"

Oh, so that's why they have us name it.  I was, to admit, a bit embarrassed...but I just got over it because it's silly to be embarrassed over that.  But then, I wonder what kind of names they get.  What unassuming people have written some sloppy silly name, only to have it spoken by the waiter?

When you get your burger, you don't think it's very big.  But Slater's 50/50 burgers bring on a whole new level of big.  They aren't very wide...but they're tall.  They're VERY tall.  It's almost unmanageable to eat (but people manage it).  It's messy, it's a delicate operation, but it's good.  The burger meat is juicy (although my dad says that there's too much bacon and that there's too much meat), and it was pure bliss.  My coleslaw disappeared, probably because of the strength of so many flavors, and maybe it was a little bit chaotic, like a bunch of fireworks bursting off in your mouth at once...but I have to maintain, the burgers were good.

In terms of prices, ambiance, etc., Slater's 50/50 is a restaurant, like Mimi's Cafe.  It's a sit-down place, and the prices are around $9 a burger.  Even though it's a burger place, it's a gourmet burger place.  It's a bit dark, with a bar, and I don't think it has kids meals--you'll have to reference elsewhere for specific information--but for true burger lovers, it's heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment