Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Choose The Song

I'm a huge fan of CCM.

tobyMac, Britt Nicole, Capital Kings, 1 Girl Nation, and a bunch of other bright poppy singers.  

But I've been researching different secular artists/songs on Spotify.  I don't want to be totally out of the loop.  Sometimes people say they like a certain song by so-and-so, and I'd say, "Oh, I don't know that song," and then I'd hear the actual song and say, "Oh, I know that song!"  

I want to be able to identify a song by its sound.  Which is why I've been researching them on Spotify.  I go to a certain secular artist, click on their most popular song, and identify.  That's one method; it's probably the most effective.

My next method is the Kidz Bop method.  Don't make fun of me for this; I've done it before.  I go to the Kidz Bop page, click on a song, recognize it, search the song, and find the original artist.  Although people may make fun of the Kidz Bop kids, I think it's helpful for identifying songs.  

Once I find a song, I look at the lyrics to see if I want it.  It's hard passing my test: I dislike love songs, and that's what most secular songs are, so a lot of the time, it doesn't "pass the test."  If the song's slow, then it's out.  My standards are very high.

So far, secular songs that have passed the test are:

Keep Your Head Up, by Andy Grammer 
It's not a love song, and it's very catchy, so it's a good song.



Unwritten, by Natasha Bedingfield
Again, this isn't a love song, and it's got a decent message, although it could have been expanded, and might not be strictly true.

Good Time, by Owl City/Carly Rae Jepsen
It's not a love song, and it's very upbeat.  I like it.  Matthew Thiessen, Relient K's lead singer, helped write this song (according to Wikipedia).

Live Like We're Dying, by Kris Allen
It's not a love song, and it's got a decent message as well, although it could be interpreted as "YOLO"-esque.

Love Song, by Sara Bareilles
It's catchy.

Home, by Phillip Phillips
It's classic and not annoying, like a lot of the other love songs are.



Becky from the Block, by Becky G
From an up-and-coming Hispanic rapper, this song is neat because the whole message of the song is that she's still the girl next door.

22, by Taylor Swift
The catchiness of this song tilted in its favor.  It's a little bit more toned down, love-song wise, as long as you don't take the lyrics too seriously and literally.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, by Taylor Swift
Again, this song is super catchy.  You have to listen with a guarded heart, because this song isn't exactly the most Biblical one out there.



Brave, by Sara Bareilles
From the singer of "Love Song," this song 1) isn't a love song, and 2) speaks how you have to speak up.  Can possibly be taken the wrong way, but overall has a good point.

What a Song Can Do, by Rachel Crow
Not really a love song, and speaks how a song can build you up, which is true.

My brothers added Radioactive, by Imagine Dragons, which is a super popular song right now.  I'm not sure exactly what it means, but it doesn't seem too harmful.



Just remember, when choosing secular songs, don't just choose what's popular.  Look at the lyrics, listen to the music, and remember what you like and what you don't.  




1 comment: