Thursday, August 15, 2013

Makin' the Team

I am writing this post to announce some Very Important News (V.I.N.):

I MADE THE TENNIS TEAM!

Hallelujah, praise God.  For several, scattered moments, I was scared that I wasn't going to make it, and I'd be stuck with a bunch of desperate kids running laps for P.E. (not that everyone who takes P.E. is desperate).  But, yes, practicing tennis for a year does help.  I made the JV (junior varsity) girls' tennis team, as one of two freshmen.

Tryouts were this week, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.  I didn't post because I was too lazy (sorry...), but this time I'll compensate.

For thirteen days (3 days for 4 weeks, and 1 day during 1 week) I have been waking up at 5:30 on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, then from 6:15 lifting weights, running miles, and playing tennis until nine.  It's summer, I know, but my coach is dedicated to molding us into good players, SO, it's weight room at 6:15.  

Now that I've made the team, we'll have practice on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday next week.  I guess my days of freedom are pretty much over with for this year.

At the beginning of the week, I thought of the whole tryout shebang as a reality TV show.  Can't you just imagine that--"Makin' the Team: Reality Channel"--and I bet those editors on American Idol could make our tryouts as interesting and dramatic as they do AI.  And the "confession room" thingamajiggers?  And the "IF I DON'T MAKE THIS POINT, WE LOSE THE WHOLE SET" and then they show in slow-motion the girl hitting the ball into the net.  And we even had music on hand.  The band was practicing on the blacktop right next to the tennis courts and we could definitely hear them.  They played the swashbuckling, adventure kind of music, the type that makes you feel like you're in a movie where two men twirl their mustaches and duel over a girl dressed in a medieval dress...Ok, I'm randomly ranting here, but, oh, well...

I think I did okay.  I mostly played doubles, and I won about half of the four-game sets I played.  One time I lost in tiebreak to a girl who wasn't as experienced as I was because I purposely didn't listen to the JV coach.  He wasn't steaming mad, but he told me that if I had been playing in an actual match then he would have been REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY mad.  I told him, sorry, I wouldn't purposely do that again.  For a while I thought it would jeopardize my chances--I mean, that experience showed that I might not be very teachable--but today while I was playing he told me who he was pairing me up with.

I made it.




No comments:

Post a Comment