Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Day in the Life (Or, My First Day of School)

Instead of rambling about how this happened, and then that happened, and how I said this and how I thought that, I decided to do something a little different.

First, let me say that sometimes, seeing all the words I write is appalling.  Especially for people who don't like to read.  So, I'm going to make this a little more organized.  I.e., "A Day in the Life."  Example: 6:15~wake up.  7:00~eat breakfast.

The times are going to be tentative, let me say that.  

6:20: Wake up to the ringing of my annoying alarm (I specifically placed it across the room so I would have to get up and go turn it off).  Instead of turning back to bed (although I feel like it), I assemble my outfit.  Orange half-shirt (bought the day I failed the math placement test, ironically), white cami underneath, the shortest pair of shorts I own (halfway up my thigh) along with a belt.  Contacts, hair (side ponytail), brush teeth, lip gloss.  Done.

6:40: Check to make sure everything's all right--I have my tennis bag, my backpack, all the stuff I need inside both of them.  Pack my lunch, nervously jiggle around, down a peanut butter breakfast, and am out the door by 

7:05: We leave.  There's a little traffic--it's the first day and we have to go early to pick up our schedules.

7:15: I get there and put my tennis bag in the coach's room.  Thank goodness...I see two of my tennis teammates!  We go to the ASB window, I turn in my transportation check, and we pick up our schedules.  My schedule is as follows:

Language Arts I Honors
Geometry Honors (I passed the test, I passed the test, I passed the test... *happy dance*)
Spanish I
Biology Honors
Careers/Health
Tennis

7:55: I manage to find my first class in time before the bell rings (thank goodness...).  Language Arts is my favorite subject, and I can tell this year is going to be a great year.  The teacher passes out the syllabus, talks about herself (her husband teaches at a school nearby; today is her son's first day of junior kindergarten; she finished a half marathon a couple days prior).  

8:50: Math! I don't like math, so I'm not quite as enthusiastic as I was in English, but someone I met at Registration sits by me, so we catch up as much as people-who-have-only-known-about-each-other's-existence-for-a-few-weeks can do.  We don't really talk during class, of course.  Not really.

9:50: Break for ten minutes.  I'm concerned about where my health class is--IT'S NOT ON THE STINKING MAP!  I go over to the portable classrooms, where someone has directed me, and peek in with my friend.  Aaaargh, it's locked and dark.  WHERE ARE YOU, ROOM 250?!?!?!?!

10:10: Worried, but confident that I still have time to search, I go to Spanish (Espanol), where the male teacher talks very fast and spins my mind in different directions.  It's definitely a class that keeps you on your toes.  Period 3 also has announcements over the intercom.  I hear the person say, JV tennis gets an early release at 1:00 today, and I smile to myself.  I have a match today, so I get released at 1.  Yay!

We also say the pledge.  I don't know if you've heard this, but somebody is suing the government to remove the words "Under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance.  Sometimes I don't get how people's minds work, but all I know is that the circumstances today are leading up to the end times.

11:15: Biology Honors.  I almost get lost--it's around the back of the school building, and it's kind of confusing.  Once I step in, though, I'm impressed.  It's a full-on lab: counters with sinks and cabinets, and barstools placed around it.  I sit at one of the counters.

The teacher has a little "icebreaker" that's not awkward, really, except it's monotonous.  The game is write three things down about yourself: two are true, one is untrue.  Everyone says something about their favorite color or number of siblings or whatever.  One boy thinks outside of the number-of-siblings box on the second day of school and repeats two facts that I will remember probably for the rest of my life: He has three storage rooms full of makeup in his house (explanation: his mom runs a makeup business) and that he once owned a chicken for five years without his dad knowing (explanation: apparently his dad doesn't go in their garage).  This is a class where you have to learn to "expect the unexpected."

I also like the teacher's way of arranging people into tables.  She numbers the tables 1-10, and has us pick cards (aces are 1).  I draw a 10 and move to the table with three other people.  

12:10: Lunch.  I find someone to eat with but the tables are all taken (according to someone, the "freshmen sit on the ground").  We go into the administrative office to eat in the foyer, and I ask someone where on earth room 250 is.  They don't know (the lady I ask is at her first day, too).  I eat half a sandwich, one and a half applesauce squishers, and a minimuffin or two, then go in search of the classroom.  I look in the portables and in the gym building.  

I run into two other teammates and they direct me to the vice principal, who's standing nearby.  I ask him, and he directs me to it.  THANK GOODNESS FOR VICE PRINCIPALS.

12:48: I find myself in Health and Careers, which was in a room with a bunch of chairs and no desks (for the chorus or something).  The teacher's kind of mad about that, and I tell him I'm only staying until 1 (he's not mad about that).  When my watch beeps at one, I leave, feeling like a superstar.

1:00: I go down to the locker room after picking up my tennis bag, and change awkwardly.  It's always a weird first experience changing in a locker room.  It feels like there's no privacy (but I won't get into that).

I find myself in the bus heading to the high school we're playing against.  It's super hot outside, and when we get there at

1:35: we find out that there is no shade.  The other team arrives and they set up EZ Ups (yay!).  The snacks are Chick-Fil-A (you're jealous now, I can tell) and fruit.  It's the first day--we need a little celebration.

2:40: We start.  I sit out the first two rounds (due to my inconsistent play during practice), then go in with my partner for the final third round.  We win, 6-4.  In all, our team wins 14-4.

We end around 5.

What were my impressions of my first day?  I liked my teachers, overall.  The kids seemed polite--they didn't talk during class.  I thought maybe that was just a first-day thing, but today was the third day of school (okay, so that's still not very long into the school year) and they haven't talked out too much.  Or maybe it's just the honors kids.  I don't know yet.  

I like it.  It's definitely different.  I went to school two days a week in eighth grade and was homeschooled the other three days, but in public high school you go five days a week.  It's kind of exhausting.  Homework is also a new experience, but thankfully I haven't gotten much...yet.  I haven't been able to blog in a couple days (which is nothing short of leaping off the face of the earth for my verbose self), but it's because of school.  School, school, school.

Homeschoolers, we got it good.

The teachers seem organized, and we also have smartboards in the classrooms (Google it.  I can't explain it, except that if you use a special pen, the whiteboard actually acts as a computer monitor.  Oh, and there are several different sections that slide.  It's pretty cool).  And there are forty kids per class.  I'm not joking.  It's crazy.  I wonder how teachers remember everyone's names, and it's definitely not what I'm used to.

The bad stuff?  You hear a couple *beep* words here and there.  Sometimes you see boys and girls holding hands, and--thanks to my youth group leader, who's a math teacher at a high school--I always think, Leave room for Jesus in the middle.  You know, those Christian things you see on Instagram and stuff?  Like, when you're dancing with someone?  Leave room for Jesus in the middle or Make sure you're eight Bible lengths apart or something.  Or, my personal favorites, Christian pickup lines you see on Instagram.  Some of them are pretty hilarious:

Is your name grace?  'Cause you're amazing.
(that one's cheesy)

There are more.  Just get an Instagram and search for funny Christian humor.  Some of them aren't so great--making fun of atheists--and sometimes I want to think, What do they think of us, us posting that?  So much for love and stuff.

And then one of my classes is mostly obnoxious freshman boys.  

So there are ups and downs.  Pros and cons to the high school life (I say that as if I were an expert, while I'm actually on my third day). 

Someone, upon my statement that I was going to public school for high school, once said that they were never going to send their kids to public school, and they didn't see why anyone would do that.

Okay, so public school might not be the best atmosphere for a Christian.  There are stuff Christians would not do, things Christians would not wear for sake of modesty.  But that's kind of the point.  We can't just stay sheltered, stay in our own little bubble.  We have to learn how the world thinks.  Why?

Because when we know how the world thinks, we know how to relate to them.  And when we know how to relate to them, we know how to shine the light of Jesus.






2 comments:

  1. YES TO THIS POST. This sort of felt like re-living my first day of high school last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, was I really this awkward of a writer last year? Sheesh. It's good that I recognize this stuff, but I'm telling you...I hadn't seen nuthin' yet.

      Delete