Monday, September 9, 2013

Your Crash Course on Broken Spanish

I am taking Spanish I at my high school.  As I was reviewing my flashcards, I thought, Why not post some of this stuff on my blog?  Maybe you know 'Hola' and 'Adios' and the typical Dora-Diego-and-Handy-Manny stuff, but what about saying "I need to go to the bathroom" or "What time is it"?  Who knows, you may find yourself stuck in Mexico with a full bladder and a vocabulary consisting of what you learned on Dora (I don't think they go over that on Dora.  Trust me on this one, because my little sister used to be obsessed with Dora and I--for whatever reason--decided to watch with her many a time.  I have the theme song memorized.  Don't judge).  

That's where my blog comes in!

I admit it: I do not know Spanish AT ALL.  This is my fifth day of taking the class.  I cannot even roll the r's (believe me, I've tried!) .  But I've learned a couple of phrases, so if you go on a missions trip to Mexico, take these with you.

*Also note that the title of this blog post is "Broken Spanish," not Speed-Learning-Advanced-Level Spanish

(Excuse me as I get my flashcards out to see what you say when you have to go to the restroom.)

There!  I need to go to the bathroom is (Yo) Necesito ir al bano (the 'n' has a squiggly thing over it, but I'm too lazy to figure out how to work the function on my computer).  

When you want to make a friend, say iHola!  Me llamo (your name).  Y tu?  In case you're wondering, that means, Hello!  My name is ________.  And you?

Pronounce it like, Oh-la!  Me yahmmo _______.  Ee too?

In order to figure out their name, expect them to say, Me llamo (their name).

When you want to say, I don't understand; please repeat, say No entiendo.  Repita por favor.  

Although if you don't know what they said in the first place, I doubt repeating it would make a difference.

It's like you going to France and not knowing how to speak French, and talking to a French person who doesn't know how to speak English.  Somehow, in our minds, we think, Okay, talk louder in English, AND THEN they'll understand!

Yeah, totally.  Try that.  I'll bet you the million dollars (that you don't have) it won't work.  Although maybe a passersby who speaks English might overhear you and come to your rescue.  (Or maybe you should just go to France with someone who can speak it.  That's probably the easiest way--although finding someone who can speak French might be a challenge...)

Oh, yeah.  One more thing.

Buenos dias means good morning
Buenos tardes means good afternoon
Buenos noches means good evening

Don't walk up to someone at ten p.m. at night and try to impress them with your knowledge of the Spanish language by saying Buenos dias.  It doesn't work that way.

It's like someone coming up to you at nine a.m. and saying, "Good evening."  Very impressive.

And that is the end of Rcubed's Crash Course on Speaking Broken Spanish.  That's kind of the extent of my limited knowledge of the Spanish vocabulary.  

And actually?  Dora, Barney, Handy Manny, and Diego do teach you something.  I first learned the Spanish numbers from a Barney song when I was just a kid (actually, I'm still a kid, but you know.  When I was younger).

Uno, dos, tres, amigo (Note: Amigo means friend.  Don't confuse it with a number like I did.)
Cuatro, cinco, seis, amigo
Siete, ocho, nueve, amigo
Something-amigo-something


Senorita Rcubed, signing out.








1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on testing into Geometry Honors! If you want to type Spanish characters, try holding Alt and pressing 164 on the Numpad. That should give you ñ. Try Alt+173 and Alt+168 for ¡ and ¿. If you want a whole list of cool characters, look here.

    http://www.irongeek.com/alt-numpad-ascii-key-combos-and-chart.html

    Fun huh? :)

    ReplyDelete