Monday, November 25, 2013

*Catching Fire* Cont., Ender's Game, and a Ton of Wacky News

Yello, everybody!

This is a kind of tie-up-loose-ends post, where I tie up my Catching Fire review with what I wish the director had added more, compare Ender's Game the novel to Ender's Game the movie, AND where I announce some V.I.T. (Very Important Things) that have recently shaken the world as we know it!

Catching Fire.  I gushed over it a ton in my last post, but I forgot to mention--I wished that the director had emphasized Katniss' nightmares a little more. In the movie, Jennifer Lawrence does a really good job of acting like she DETESTS GOING BACK INTO THE ARENA, but she doesn't seem as scared in the movie compared to the book.  To me, the movie fell a little bit flat over that.  And although I was kind of glad they cut the "getting drunk" scene out of the movie, in the book, the drunk part perfectly displays Katniss' total devastation at risking death and pain once more.  Since they cut the drunk part out, they cut some of the depravity out.

Also--Haymitch.  Why didn't they show the part where Katniss and Peeta learn about how he won his games?  Minor thing, but it does add some intrigue to the story.

I'm thinking of writing the story of Johanna Mason--how she won her games, and how she has nobody left to love.

Then ENDER'S GAME.  Sorry it's taking me so long to fulfill my promises--I keep forgetting because new material arises.

The book was really, really good.  I'm not going to write a whole review, just list some of the similarities and differences between the book and the movie.

1) The kids seem younger in the movie than in the book.  Okay, they're the same age, technically.  But the kids in the book--man!  They were so smart, it  was insane.  And while they were smart like adults, they were also, um, kids with adult vocabulary--and not just in a good sense, in a bad-words kind of sense too.  You see a lot of cussing, kids yelling at adults.  It's weird, because the kids are probably actually smarter than the adults themselves, but still, show some respect, please.  In the movie, the kids didn't cuss as much and they were a little bit more respectful, although they were brutal to each other.

2) Valentine and Peter Wiggin use their essays to take over the world.  Okay, the movie people completely cut this out.  Valentine and Peter, who are only ten and twelve by the way, write under fake aliases and take over the world.  It's that simple.  If Peter's not a very nice genius, he's a very smart one (well duh.  Geniuses are smart).

3) Petra was more of a tomboy--for lack of a better word--in the book.  She's--well--interesting in the book, while she was more likable in the movie. Save the first line that Hailee Steinfeld says, Petra in the movie is definitely a little bit friendlier than in the book.

4) Ender is pretty much the same.  Save the age difference, Asa Butterfield portrays Ender very excellently.  

There's a lot more to it--I could go on and on and on and on for hours about how Ender's Game the book is different from the movie--but there are some interesting news in the CCM world that I'd like to share.

Today, Blanca Callahan, half of the two-part duo Group 1 Crew, announced over Instagram (and probably other formats of social media) that she will be LEAVING Group 1 Crew and pursuing a solo career!



Good-bye, Blanca! (photo taken from group1crew.com)  We will miss you!

Personally, I've always thought that Blanca Callahan was amazingly talented and should be pursuing a solo career.  I was just thinking the other day how I thought she should be on her own.  And now that it's announced, I'll be looking forward to her new music!

To read her message, click here.

Toodles,
Rcubed ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment