Sunday, November 17, 2013

Yay, One More Grueling Week

Wow.  Just wow.

What a Sunday!

This Sunday, I've been A) doing schoolwork, and B) reading Ender's Game.  I started reading it last night, and I'm almost done with it.  It's a pretty decent book.

I'm probably going to post a whole Ender's Game Movie VS Book debate when I finish it, but let me inform you of my preliminary thoughts (in the form of a--guess what?--list):  **Spoiler Alert**

1.  Ender is 6 at the beginning of the book and ****spoiler alert**** he kills someone (two someones, actually).  It's graphic and grueling and I feel so stinking bad for him because he's just six but he's forced to act like a fifty-five-year-old disgruntled general.  And I'm not kidding.  These kids, these kids are only 10 and 11, and they're, like, brilliant (It's kind of easier just to pretend that they're older than they really are).  You can tell it in the way they speak, because they talk like Katniss Everdeen, except more sophisticated, with less maturity, and with less naivete (Ender's practically a telepath).  Did I mention more cussing and extremely rude humor?  Thank goodness they cut it out of the movie...or did they...

2.  Ender commands his own team when he's 10, and is pretty stinking good at it.  How many ten-year-olds can say that they've successfully commanded a team, the Dragon Team, and led them, undefeated?  How many ten-year-olds can say that they're being promoted to Commander School (or whatever it's called) when normally sixteen-year-olds are graduating?

3.  Ender's brother and sister are evil.  I kind of hate Valentine and Peter, mostly because they want to take over the world and they're doing it in style (Actually, they're manipulating people).  And I'm not taking history this year, so I forget what the Warsaw Pact is about, and all the military jargon and such, but you can tell that there are only a few people in the world who intellectually match up with Val and Pete.  Including their dear younger Third brother Ender, and his superior Graff.

4.  The book is good, but the concept is boring.  We've all heard it at one point or another.  Young underdog-y guy who's supersmart lives in a shattered dystopian society and manages to protect the Earth from bug-like aliens who want to start a colony on it.  Avengers much?  Except Ender's extremely intelligent, more intelligent than the brutal Colonel Graff who's training him, and, ya know, ends up...well, I won't spoil the ending.  Actually, I will.  He ends up realizing the aliens aren't there to kill them and tries to find the new queen a home.  Ender's a pretty decent guy, but the rest of his world is all messed up.

Okay, that was my first rant about Ender's Game.  More to come :)

Yay, one more grueling week.  One more week of homework.  One more week of getting up early every single day and handling real-world situations.  One more week of just plain old stuff.

And then...one more week of FREEDOM!

Yayayayayayayayayayayayayay (my new catchphrase; like it?)

Can't wait until five days are over with and I am officially set in VACATION MODE :)

3 comments:

  1. in the movie, there are no english bad words, but Bonzo says bad words in Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up :) I (*obviously*) don't speak Spanish, so I didn't know.

      Delete
  2. Ok :) Thanks for the heads-up. I don't really speak Spanish (*obviously*), so I didn't really know.

    -Rcubed

    ReplyDelete