Saturday, December 28, 2013

My Next Step

Hey, everybody!

Let me kick this post off by saying that I feel kindasortamaybe lost right now.

Ever since finishing the novel on Tuesday, I've felt...weird.  Like, I have nothing to work towards now.  I'm done with the bulk of the writing.  Now all I have to do is revise, revise, revise.

(I learned recently that "editing" is when a honest-to-goodness editor looks through the manuscript.  "Revising" is when an author goes through it.)

But there is more to the story.  After checking out the website Go Teen Writers, I decided that I will take a break.  Not quite like the six-week break they talk about, since I don't write full-time, but maybe three-four weeks.

And in those three weeks, I'm going to spend time getting acquainted with my characters.  Prior to writing, I never really just free-wrote about my main people.  I mean, I knew what they were like, but I never really explored the facets of their personalities.  In the three weeks before revising, I'm going to write short stories about each of my six main-est characters.  (There are, like, three or four main main characters, and about two-three lesser main characters).  My main character, Kasie Jordan's, will be about her history before the time of Snow in July; her best friends' will be about their limited-unique family situations (not really that unique); one of her friends' will be about adjusting to America; and the main antagonist's will be about his really--er, interesting--history.  

I'm not sure if I can finish that in just three weeks.  I'm going to make a rough plan, but I'm just going to play it by ear xD

Hopefully, I'll come out of the short-story writing stint, take a week off, and then get into the nitty-gritty of it all.

It doesn't help that I have almost absolutely NO idea what I'm doing, but my dad bought me the Go Teen Writers book, by Stephanie Morrill and Jill Williamson, and so I'm going to let that guide me.  

And of course, in SJ, I left a lot of open-ended questions.  And I'm starting to get some ideas for a possible sequel...

It's been really, really fun.  I can't wait to get started!

-Rcubed

No comments:

Post a Comment