Friday, February 28, 2014

An Inspiration, Mind-Blowing Story of Amazing, Awe-Inspiring Acceptance

This half-fictional, half-true story is dedicated to my friends Joey, Toad, and Dr. Jo.  Who also happen to be one person named Joann.

*Note: Health Hazard~Mind May Blow Up After Reading This~

**Note: This story is not meant to be a satire of anything that may be implied and/or a reflection of Joey's or my personal beliefs.  It's a just a couple of whacked-out friends saying whacked-out things in order to--you know.  Whack each other out.


"ACCEPT YOURSELF"

Wind whips around my face as I contemplate the mysteries of life (i.e., why homework exists and why I have so much of it).  

Something taps me on the arm.  My friend Joey stands there.  "Come on.  Let's go.  We have to play tennis.  Remember?"

Her arm windmills into a slick tennis swing, nearly knocking our friend Marie off the bench.  

"Whoa," says Cat, who stops midway in the motion of putting her hair up in a bun.  "Are you okay, Marie?"

"I'm fine."  Marie gives her arm a complimentary rub, then gets up to retrieve her tennis racket.  "I'll go save us a court."  She scampers off.

"Wow, Joey.  Klutzy much?"  I laugh.  

"Maybe you should just accept it," Joey shoots at me as we grab a couple of neon-green fuzzy spheres and start to walk down the path to the courts.  "Maybe this is just WHO I AM, and maybe you should just learn to accept the fact that I'm clumsy."  She has a half-snarky, half this-is-going-to-be-a-hilarious-conversation smile on her face.  I'm pretty sure I'm wearing the same grin.  Because Joey's and my conversations are legendary.

"Maybe you should accept the fact that I'm not going to accept the fact that you're clumsy," I tell her as a bunch of track girls walk by, chattering about spandex nonsense.

"The key to accepting yourself is to accepting others.  Including me."  Joey grabs the doorknob of the tennis courts and attempts to pull it open.  

I stifle the urge to giggle as Marie wrenches it open from the inside.  "Maybe I've already accepted myself, and accepting myself means that I don't accept the fact that you're clumsy," I tell her.

We separate into both sides--Joey and Marie on one side, Cat and me on the other side.  I start to slice the ball at Joey, who whacks it back.

"The TRUE way to accept yourself is to accept those around you," Joey tells me.

"You should have your own syndicated radio show.  Dr. Jo."  I give a weak flick of my wrist, the ball slapping against the net pathetically.  I slap another ball at Joey.  "Dr. Jo, what do you have to say about life today?"

"Well, folks."  Joey holds up the end of her racket, miming speaking into a microphone.  "Today's theme is acceptance."  Her voice takes on a deep undertone.

"OH MY GOODNESS, DR. JO."  I take on a weird, twisted accent that's supposed to mimick the effects of fangirling.  "TELL US MORE!  I'VE BEEN DYING TO ACCEPT MYSELF FOR AGES!  THIS COULD BE THE BREAKTHROUGH OF ALL MY PSYCHOLOGICAL PEACE!"

At this, we dissolve into giggles.

"Well, in order to accept yourself, you have to accept my teachings."  Joey hits the ball at me, and I parry it back.  "And accept others."

"I refuse to accept others," I tell her.  

"Then you refuse to accept yourself."  Joey slaps the ball back at me.

I hit it back.  "Oh my goodness, I'm playing bad today."

"Accept it."  Joey winks.

We move back and start rallying.  At one point, we run out of balls within the vicinity of two steps and have to pause play in order to grab some more.  "Dr. Jo, I've been thinking."  I shake a piece of lint off of my hand before slipping it into my built-in shorts pocket.  "Maybe YOU should accept YOURself by accepting the fact that I'M not going to accept YOU."

"Maybe YOU should accept YOURself by accepting the fact that I'M not going to accept YOU not accepting those AROUND you."  Joey watches my expression with a quirk of her mouth.

After a minute or two of struggling with the sentence, I say, "In that case, I just refuse to accept anything.  Makes it easier."

"YOU WILL HAVE BETTER INNER PEACE IF YOU JUST ACCEPT EVERYTHING," she calls over her shoulder.

"I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT I HAVE TO ACCEPT EVERYTHING IN ORDER TO ACCEPT MYSELF," I holler at her.

"I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT EVERYTHING IN ORDER TO ACCEPT YOURSELF," Joey shouts at me, tossing the ball into the air.

"THEN YOU HAVEN'T ACCEPTED YOURSELF," I yell as the ball sags against the net and rolls downward.

"YES I HAVE."  Thunk goes the ball against the right fence.  "I'VE ACCEPTED THE FACT THAT I REFUSED TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT EVERYTHING IN ORDER TO ACCEPT YOURSELF."

I'm not really sure what happens after that, but I vaguely remember Joey, Marie, and Cat--the good friends that they are--picking up pieces of my brain.












3 comments:

  1. Rcubed, that was so hilarious! You just made my day~
    You and Joey should have more conversations like that, because I think Joey is very inspirational!

    Now, I thought that I'd share a quote of acceptance (you better accept my gift of acceptance to you!):
    "Acceptance of what has happen is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune" -William James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment! I agree, Joey and I should DEFINITELY have more conversations like this, and I'll post it here if we have any more weird ones.

      Oh, and I know that this DEFINITELY isn't Joey who's commenting. She's so humble, she would NEVER say that she herself is INSPIRATIONAL. She accepts the fact that she is humble. :D :D :D

      Oh, and I have a quote for you:

      "I don't care who you are. When you sit down to write the first page of your screenplay, in your head, you're also writing your Oscar acceptance speech." -Nora Ephron

      So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you're accepting people you win an Oscar.

      Hope that inspired you, Anonymous!

      ~Rcubed

      Delete
  2. OMG! You replied!

    Yes, I am indeed not the so called 'Joey', and although I do not know Joey, I am glad that she is humble. BUT, one could be both humble and say that oneself is inspirational, right?

    Here's another quote that I think will inspire you (and possibly Joey, too):
    "No intelligent idea can gain general acceptance unless some stupidity is mixed in with it" -Fernando Pessoa

    I hope that you'll have a very weird/interesting/inspirational/wonderful/fanatic conversation with Joey soon!

    ReplyDelete