Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Everything Is Awesome

Everything is awesome....

Unfortunately, I don't think they had the good version available on Spotify, so I have to be content with listening to Disney Channel songs.

But anyway.  To business:

I *FINALLY* saw The LEGO Movie.

Really, their title couldn't be any more uncreative, but the weirdness in the movie makes up for the boring title.  They couldn't write a title to fully capture the abstract-it-y of it, so they just settled for The LEGO Movie.  I get it.

What I don't get is the fact that I liked it.  

Let me get this straight.  I wanted to see The Muppet Movie.  I wanted to see it really badly, so when my dad announced that we were going to go see The LEGO Movie instead, I was all, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  I'D RATHER STAY AT HOME!  

My English teacher and then my friend had told me that it wasn't a very good movie, so I was expecting the worst of the worst.  You get what I'm saying, right?

I LIKED IT!

The anticlimactic-ness, the understatement in everything.  It was funny!  Sure, it was weird.  Sure, my teacher said that the people who wrote it had to be on drugs.  BUT I LIKED IT!

The LEGO Movie follows Emmet, your typical average brainwashed construction worker with nothing special to his personality.  He works at the construction site run by the (evil) President Business and listens to instructions in the "How To Be Cool" book--just like everybody else in the city.  Then he finds a special brick...and his entire world flips upside-down.  Full to the brim with pirates, unikitties, and name-changing love interests, The LEGO Movie actually delivers...on its own terms, of course.





Boasting a cast of veterans in the movie industry, The LEGO Movie stars Chris Pratt (Zero Dark Thirty; Moneyball), Elizabeth Banks (The Hunger Games; Pitch Perfect), and Will Ferrell (Elf; Megamind), as the intriguing LEGO people.  The special effects were kind of dizzying, what with the flying detached parts, but I guess that's kind of the point of LEGO animation.  I also thought that the live-action part at the end was a nice touch.

In terms of the movie itself, it was decent, actually.  Why?  It was funny.  It was lighthearted.  It was a good message--stereotypical in that it told you that you were special, which is the theme of every other animated movie out there--but since it's true, you can't really argue with it.  The plot was very abstract, but I actually kind of liked it.  And I got it.  And everybody else in the theater got it.  So, really, that's all I can ask out of a children's animated movie.

Morally, it was a children's movie.  So it was on pretty solid ground.  You're special.  You're one-in-a-kind.  And I liked that at the end, the bad guy...well, I don't want to spoil it.  But it held a strong message.  And it wasn't too scary (not too scary).  There were also plenty of machines, and all that kool technical stuff.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Overall, everything was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment