Monday, March 24, 2014

I Represent Sean Rosen Book Review

I went to the library on Friday and started to binge on MG books.

When I was shuffling through the New Arrivals section at my library, this book popped out at me:



So I looked inside the front cover and liked what I saw.  And I just finished the book, and all I can say is...KOOL!!!!!

Sean Rosen is your average podcast maker with a GREAT idea that just might possibly change the entertainment industry forever.  If he can get somebody to listen to his idea, then he might make it in the big world.  One snag: he's thirteen.  But with ton of ambition, lots of awesomeness, and just a pinch of luck, he might actually make this work...

The Characters
What I Expected:
Going into this book, I thought it was going to be a typical, Diary-of-a-Wimpy-Kid-esque book, full of innuendos against middle school and everything that goes into it.  I thought that Sean would have a prejudice against life, and that he would be obnoxious and get rejected abruptly (and painfully, for the reader).

What I Got:
Let me just say it first: Sean is amazing.  He's incredibly smart, he's NOT annoying, and he doesn't have a prejudice against middle school!  He isn't obnoxious, and nothing in the book made me cringe.  Sean is incredibly sensible and--I could say--mature for his age.  He's slightly clueless, but it just made his character seem more real.  

The supporting characters weren't very prevalent in the book, but there were a lot of them.  I loved Sean's parents, and his friends (Buzz, Brianna, and Ethan) were pretty kool too.  Their presence was kind of abstract, but it turned out okay.

The Plot
What I Expected: 
I thought that he would learn that he didn't know everything, and that he would grow and mature through the book and become a better kid at the end.

What I Got:
The plot is unpredictable, and it totally works.  Sean's ideas are so--fun, and he doesn't just sit around thinking about what to do--he actually does them.  Jeff Baron, the author, added a nice twist with Sean's podcast-making hobby.  I learned a lot about the entertainment industry, and I thought that the "writing screenplay" bit at the end was unique.  It showed that his ideas had finally ended up somewhere.

What I Didn't Like
  • The supporting characters were very just...supporting.  It was mostly just about Sean.  He doesn't have a main best friend, and it seemed like the author added Buzz, Brianna, and Evan to fill up the story with realistic stuff.  They didn't really add up to his main goal...
That's basically it.

Notes:
  • He has...ahem, interesting relatives
  • His parents are pretty awesome
  • There isn't a predictable crush thing
  • He's creative
  • It's not a laugh-out-loud funny book, but it's funny in its own way.


Rating: 4.5 out of 5 cubes

GO READ IT!  And I'm definitely going to check out the sequel.  

**I don't always do Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays, but next week I'm planning on writing about The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt

12 comments:

  1. I had seen the cover for this book, but wasn't sure what it was about. Thanks for your review. I'll add it to a future read list. Glad to have you aboard this week for MMGM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :D

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the MMGM crew! I do believe I have a book to add to my TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a good book, and I hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. Welcome to MMGM, rcubed! I love your pseudonym. :) You've got a great blog here, and I like your book review format. This isn't a book I'd normally pick up, but I think I'll look for it; I do like humour, and unpredictable characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! And thank you--my pseudonym was a kind of spur-of-the-moment thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like this has a fantastic voice! (One snag...) Love that! Thanks so much for sharing it for MGMM.

    Sheri at Writer's Alley

    Home of Rebel Writer CREED 2014
    Mighty Minion Bureau Team #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure :D And it does have a great voice!

      Delete
  6. When I saw that book a while ago, it didn't really look appealing to me, but I think I'll go read it :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why it wouldn't be appealing, but I liked it. I think you might too :D

      Delete
    2. I got it on my kindle (it's only $1.99!) and I read like 16 something chapters! I love it!

      Delete
    3. Awesome! Glad you liked it!

      Delete