Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Identity

We are all defined by something.


You may be defined by your love of animals, your hatred of crosswalks, your fascination with Doctor Who.

I am defined by my writing, my blogging, my utter weirdness.

Where does God fit into all of this?

Let's take a look into the New Testament.  Matthew 4:18-22 tells of how Jesus called His first disciples.  He said, " 'Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.'  Immediately they left their nets and followed Him.'"

The word that strikes me the most, that convicts me the most, is "IMMEDIATELY."

No hesitation.  Right away, as soon as the words left Jesus' mouth, Simon Peter, Andrew, James, and John left their lives as fishermen to become Jesus' fishers of men.

This has been my struggle lately.  Leaving my nets behind and following Jesus right away.  I've been basing my identity off my writing, and when it all came crashing down, my pride took a hit and my identity shattered.

So many times, I've been scared.  Running scared because I'm afraid of failing, falling below the high standards I've set for myself.  I've disappointed myself a lot recently.  I've been wondering...what if I don't become a writer?  What will happen to me?  What will I do?

Writing is my life.

And it started edging my love of Jesus out.

I realized--I was basing my self-worth, my esteem, my identity, on the things that I accomplished, instead of focusing on the cross that saved me from utter depravity and disgrace.

Now, I seek to be a child of God before being a writer.

I am saved by grace, and nothing I will ever do as a person will separate me from the eternity of God's love.  Though I may disappoint myself and others, I can always come back to Him no matter what.  

Identity...such a fickle thing.  It can be changed.  It can even be stolen.

But my identity, my faith in Christ, will

NEVER

be 
taken
away.

~Rcubed~

No comments:

Post a Comment