Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My Shakespearean Sonnet

Recently, my English teacher had us write a Shakespearean sonnet.



To be honest, I'm not really one of the best people to go to for literary analysis.  Mostly, I judge books and pieces of literature by how they made me feel, instead of the devices the authors use to make me feel that way.  I'm not used to writing guidelines being pinned on me.  A lot of the time, I just WRITE.

I've been trying to get better about that, but it's still hard for me to revise my own work.

So I thought writing a Shakespearean sonnet was going to be hard.

For those of you who don't know, Shakespearean sonnets are laid out in a very organized, freakishly kool way.  The guidelines to writing my sonnet were:


  • Must consist of 14 lines (three quatrains ending with a couplet)
  • It must be written in iambic pentameter (duhDUHduhDUHduhDUHduhDUHduhDUH)
  • It must be written in the standard rhyme scheme (Shakespearean sonnets generally follow the ABAB pattern)

I learned a lot through writing the sonnet.  For example, a quatrain is a stanza or paragraph consisting of four lines.  Iambic pentameter is a type of the natural rhythm of a poem. 

 Iambic pentameter was hard because each line had to be a certain number of syllables, and those syllables had to be emphasized exactly, but I managed to sort everything out.

The rhyme sceme is self-explanatory--rhyming.

But who am I kidding?  I'm going to share my poem with you:


Fire & Ice

It fuels my fire and warms my solemn soul;
It burns and aches and salves and heals my pain.
Runs on dark light, thick wood, or blazing coal;
Each time it flames it keeps me cold and sane.
It whips across my puny humble life;
And gives a splendid way to other worlds.
Flies through the crazy dark of ill and strife;
And tells of age-old Mars and ancient pearls.
But yet they cannot be solely contained,
For they are blessed, unashamed and wild.
They leap and soar and fly across the page;
They soothe and chill and cry and keep me riled.
And everywhere I seek, I search, I look
For yet another wondrous wordy book.

It's no Shakespeare, and it's cheesy, but it just...came to me.  I don't loathe poetry like some other people.  I like it because there aren't any rules to it and I can do WHATEVER I want.

Have you ever written a Shakespearean sonnet?  If you haven't, try!  It's a unique way to express your feelings about something :D

~Rcubed~





2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sonnet! Poetry is certainly a great, fresh way to express yourself. I can't say I'm much good at writing poetry, but it's wonderful listening/reading it :)

    Take care,
    -Riley XO
    smilesnomatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Riley!
      Yes, poetry is a wonderful form of literature to write, read, and listen to. Glad you liked this post :D Thanks for commenting!

      ~Rcubed~

      Delete