Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Organizing My Life & Blowing My Mind (Part One)

Organizing really blows your mind.



There is a little part inside of me that is very left-brained.  I mean, left-brained in an OCD, not-ADD kind of way.  And this little left-brained part often tells me that I have to orient and organize my life or else in a couple of months it'll be a great big jumble of "whatever soup" and I would have wasted my summer.  So I organized my life for the rest of the school year and this summer until September 1st, which, if I remember, I'll organize my life again.

I used the calendar on my phone, which (I just figured out) hooks up to the GoogleCalendar on my computer!  (Yaaaaayyyy!  I love technology!)

The sheer joy of organizing my life and seeing how much stuff I had to do blew my mind.  So, right here, in this blog post, I'm going to outline exactly what I did, and what my results were.  This is the first part in a two-part posting on the organization of my life.

I divided the sections of my life into different segments: Books, Movies, Writings, Chores, Exercising, and Diet.  Today I'll be highlighting Books and Movies.

Organizing My Book Life:  Basically, I took all the books that were collecting on my desk, brought them to my other desk.  After that wondrous feat was accomplished, I did the following:

  • Noted the exact date of when I wanted to finish each book.
  • Noted the number of chapters/sections in each book.
  • Noted the number of weeks I had from today until the deadline.
  • Calculated the number of sections I'd need to read each week in order to accomplish my goal.


I have a ton of books to read, and in order to finish all of these I'm going to have to be efficient and very deadline-oriented.  I'm not going to include all of the logistics for each book on here--that would be terrible for you readers--but just to give you an idea of what I did, I'm including the SAT book's stats.

  • The Official SAT Book, by the College Board.  I'm a freshman in high school.  SATs are looming in my near future.  My dad wanted me to go through the book, and I aim to finish it by the end of the summer.  It includes 10 practice tests, and all I can think about right now is how my summer is going to disappear in the blink of an eye...But anyway.  I'm starting on June 1st, and the date I'm trying to finish it is August 31st.  There are 31 sections (including the ten practice tests).  Which means there's about 12-13 weeks left to read these books, and I need to read 3 sections a week.  
  • Evolution Exposed, by Roger Patterson.  I've only read the first chapter, and I can tell this is going to be a pretty kool book.  Patterson analyzes and points out the evolutionary biases in four of the most commonly used biology textbooks.  I'm planning on writing a chapter-by-chapter analysis of Patterson's book (and I'll be sure not to violate any copyright laws), and posting the analyses on my blog Rcubed's Reads and Reviews (http://rcubedreadsreviews.blogspot.com). 
  • Damsels in Distress, by Martha Peace.  My dad handed me this book a couple of months ago, and I've been struggling to finish it.  This is an incredible book, as Peace tackles many woman-ly issues.  And besides, her last name rocks.  I mean, like, Peace?  
  • The Rough Guide to Korea, by Norton Paxton.  Since I'm going to Korea in June, I thought I'd finally (wo)man up and read some stuff about it, so I'd be prepared.  My family's been spouting Korean stuff left and right at the dinner table, and whenever they say something I don't know the meaning of, my mind blanks and I think, Hola, me llamo Rcubed.  Yeah.  I'm pretty hopeless.
  • Faith Alone, by Martin Luther (edited by James C. Galvin).  Faith Alone is a book with devotionals for a whole year--it's really good--and I read it last year, but I wanted to read it again this year, so I am. 
  • The Bible.  I'm trying to read this every single day, and my family is going through a plan that highlights the main events in the Bible in chronological order.  I love spending time in God's Word :D
Organizing My Movie Life: There are a lot of movies that I want to see--I'm a huge movie fan.  (TV?  Not so much.  I recently asked somebody if The Walking Dead was like the Hunger Games.  They told me it's about zombies.)  I included a list of movies I want to see:
  • The Muppets
  • God's Not Dead
  • Noah
  • Divergent
  • Rio 2
  • Maleficent
  • How To Train Your Dragon 2
I don't have any specific date or time that I want to see them, because I can't drive (obviously) and I don't want to bug my parents.  So I just made a list and hope that I'll eventually be able to see all of them...And besides, I can only review so many.

Does anybody else find themselves organizing their lives like this?  Do you guys have piles and piles of books lying around, waiting to be cracked open and read?  If so, what are they?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

~Rcubed~



No comments:

Post a Comment