Tuesday, April 22, 2014

SPRING BREAK ADVENTURES Part 2: Movies, Fat, & Lots More

~Spring Break Adventures Part 2: Movies, Fat, & Lots More~
I don't even know what to say about the title of this post.



Not only is it one of the most boring titles in the history of the existence of my blog, but it's also slightly inaccurate.  Friday (the 11th), Saturday (the 12th), Sunday (the 13th), Monday (the 14th), and Tuesday (the 15th) were all so interesting that the title doesn't even cut it.  So much happened it's impossible to recount all that happened.  So I'm going to make this easy for you.  (At least, I'm going to try to make it easy.)  

FRIDAY, April 11th

The Weighing: After somehow surviving school (that sugar-filled fiesta in Spanish might have helped), I went to sixth period hoping that my tennis coach would let us off early.  Instead of hitting, however, he released the sophomores, juniors, and seniors and had us freshmen complete the "Freshman Fitness Test," or at least part of the Freshman Fitness Test.  As part of the process, we were weighed and measured.  (Not in front of each other, thank gargoyles.)

I GREW AN INCH!  Thank goodness.  Short people like me because I make 'em look tall; so growing an inch is a monumental moment in my life.  My current height is probably the height I'll stay at for the rest of my life, and I'm trying to stretch out my length as tall as possible before I stop growing. (All the short people say "Amen"!)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: My dad took my brothers and me to see the new Captain America movie.  I'm not going to ramble how much I loved the movie (you can see my review here), but one thing I want to point out is that "Captain" is spelled "C-A-P-T-A-I-N," not "C-A-P-T-I-A-N." ( I'm stating this for the benefit of the theater employees who spelled the line sign wrong.)

SATURDAY, April 12th

The Sleeping: I usually don't sleep in late, but it must have been my five a.m. wake up calls combined with the late movie: I slept in until 10.  It's the latest I've ever slept--I'm so proud of it.  (Finally feeling like the stereotypical teenager, LOL...hopefully not too stereotypical, though.)

The Exercising:  My mom got a stationary bike for her birthday, and she and I have been working out with it.  (My mom in her pj's and slippers, and me in my workout clothes.)  It's a pretty handy thing to have around the house, especially when you don't feel like going outside and running.

The End:  I FINISHED POLAR OPPOSITES.  The fourth draft is DONE!  I ended at 68,939 words, which I'll need to cut some, but the main part of it is, the fourth draft is DONE!

Now on to revising.

*groan*

The McDonald's:  After seeing the documentary SuperSize Me, I now utterly disdain McDonald's.  I utterly disdained it even more when, after the game, I learned that my local one cut the Caesar salad from the menu.

That Caesar salad has been my SAVING GRACE.  When everyone around me consumes their disgustingly processed "white meat" McNuggets and so-called "beef," I eat vegetables doused in creamy sauce.  (You're probably thinking sarcastically, That's SOOOO much better.)

BUT THEY CUT IT FROM THE MENU.

So I went with the Bacon Ranch salad, which was OK.

Oh, and did you know that there's a cancer-causing chemical in their fries?  Yup.  That's right.  Take that, commercialized American society.

SUNDAY, April 13th

The Doughnut Holes:  My youth group leaders brought DOUGHNUT HOLES to youth group.  (Pretty awesome, aren't they?)  They also brought ham-and-cheese croissants, but since I'd already had my daily staple of peanut butter and jelly, I didn't eat them.  I did have three doughnut holes, however.  

The Sendoff:  A couple of people from my church are leaving for a one-year missions trip, and we had a "sendoff lunch" for them at a nearby park.  In the process, we had two dessert tables.  Not one, not a ton, but TWO.  There were macadamia-white-chocolate cookies; chocolate-covered strawberries; mango bread; banana bread; cake pop bites; more cookies; lemon bars; bundt cake; and more cookies.  I was all, Who cares?  And so I had a cake pop bite, a cookie, a chocolate-covered strawberry, and a lemon bar.  (Just in case you were wondering, there was still dessert left over.)  

I really like sugar.

The Chinese Food: My grandma's going to Korea, so we headed down to her place and ate dinner with her before she left.  And we had Chinese food.

I'm not a big fan of Asian food, for whatever reason.  I like Korean barbecue, and I can eat most of the stuff, but I prefer Caesar salad and peanut butter and jelly over kung pao chicken and bulgogi.  But I had a lot of Chinese food--because I was just in that kind of food-eating mood.

Afterward, we had sugar-ed-up sweet potato:



MONDAY, April 14th

Our Kind-Of Vacation: We went on a two day, one night trip on Monday, kicking it off at this theme park of sorts.  After packing up (cell phone, cell phone charger, Kindle--fully charged--notebook, AP Euro homework in case I felt like being productive, highlighters, pens--oh, and clothes), we headed down to this amusement park.  I'm not going to divulge the name over the Internet, but it has a lot of ocean animals and commercialized stuff.

The Commercialization: There was so much "let's conserve the earth" that I wanted to bust through those water tanks and start talking sense into the people who put roller coasters in the park.  ROLLER COASTERS.  In a park where we're talking about how we can "conserve the earth."  Let's save the sea animals, folks, by putting two metal tracks, a bunch of cliched cars, and twenty tons of water into a ride where people can get wet and appreciate what the sea animals have to go through every day.  Yup, definitely saving the sea animals right there.  Yup, definitely conserving water right there.  *sarcasm*

But I have to admit, it was pretty fun to get wet.

TUESDAY, April 15th

Twelve Stories:  I'm afraid of heights.  What can I say?  I'm afraid that one of these days, I'm going to slip/slide/fall/rip/soar over the edge of a cliff and die by splatting on something underneath.  But at the same time, I like to have a little bit of scary in my life.

So, in the hotel elevators--glass, I might add--I went up twelve stories to see what it was like.

There are all sorts of scenarios that play in the mind of a person who's scared of heights.

For example, what if an earthquake starts shaking and everybody starts screaming and what if the building starts to collapse and cave in?  Will I have to jump down and hope for the best?  Will I have to hop from story to story and make it out just in time, like a superhero?

Or, what if somebody pushes me from behind and I fall over and soar through the air?  Will I land in the plants?  The river thing with koi fish?  Will I die?  Will they have a memorial service for me?  I wonder what everyone will say...

And then I start imagining what everybody'll say, and then I'll start wondering why on earth people only say nice things at a funeral.  

Is that ADD, or just having a naturally inquisitive mind?

Dining Rooms: After, we went to this aircraft carrier ship that had been turned into a museum.  It was pretty kool--I mean, like, it was totally like in The Avengers!  You know the part when the aircraft carrier turns into that airplane-ship-thingy with the reflection panels?  I was envisioning something like that happening, except it didn't, unfortunately :(  However, I did get to see the numerous dining rooms.

There were a thousand different dining rooms.  There was one for the regular people, one for the above-average people who weren't quite officers yet, one for the officers, one for the officers over the officers, one for the Chief Petty Officers (I don't know what that means, but it sounds interesting), and one for the Captain & Co.  

I'm exaggerating.  I think.

Simulation: They had these flight simulators that were basically giant robotic arms with video games installed.  Two-thirds of my family wanted to go, so my dad forked over the $8 per person.  EIGHT DOLLARS PER PERSON.

It was a huge gimmick.

But it was also insanely...weird?  Unusual? I don't know the word for it.  

My brother was the pilot, and I was the gunman.  Basically, my brother flipped us around, and I held down the red plastic trigger.  (I didn't press the button that would switch our roles, probably because I would do it worse than he did.)  Twenty seconds into the three-minute ordeal, my baseball cap fell off while we were upside-down and my hair fell down and blocked a little bit of the projection screen.

That kind of ruined it for me.

I came out of the simulator dizzy and throw-uppy.  You know that feeling where you kind of feel like you're going to throw up, but you know you're not going to but you want to because it feels so bad?

That's what I was feeling like.  

It's clear that neither my brother nor I are going to be those people in Top Gun.  

Speaking of which, is it just me, or does Tom Cruise have a high voice?

Toodles, 
~Rcubed~

Have you ever had a memorable family vacation?  Do you think Tom Cruise has a high voice?

Feel free to share your thoughts; however, please keep them edifying to those around you :)

**P.S.  I was told that my "A Day In Hell" post wasn't theologically accurate--the truth is, we don't know where Jesus was when He died.  So, I'd like to formally apologize for any confusion/disdain you may have had.  





















4 comments:

  1. how tall are you?
    -Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 61 inches tall :-)

      ~Rcubed~

      Delete
    2. go to the top of Taipei 101 (the building with 101 stories.) it helped me get over my fear of heights. :)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I should! Once I get around to actually going to Taiwan :-)

      ~Rcubed~

      Delete