Thursday, June 19, 2014

American Society Does Not Need Delivery Services (is that correct grammar?)

So, apparently Koreans have delivery services for everything.

McDonalds. Jajhangmyun (don't know if that's how you spell it, but whatever). 

Americans do not need that. Because if we're already the fattest nation in the world, then we'll probably even become fatter with delivery services.

Just my two cents.

Anyway, since I didn't do a post yesterday, this will be a sort-of combined post of the day before yesterday and yesterday, hopefully shorter than the last post. Because the last post was really long, and it took a really long time for me to write it. Just sayin'.

After I ate my garlic chicken for breakfast, we got dressed and walked to the nearby McDonalds, where I had a bacon, lettuce, and tomato breakfast sandwich. (That's right. No egg. I wanted to be "healthy.") 


My mom wanted to check out the Starbucks next door, so she and I went inside. (I was hoping that she'd buy me a frappuccino, but they were super expensive.) Nevertheless, we came across THIS! VVVVV

 In case you can't read the words right by the white-with-red-stripes frap, that's a STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE frappuccino. STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE. Even though I'm not the hugest fan of cheesecake or the hugest fan of strawberries or the hugest fan of strawberry cheesecakes, that still sounds good. 

Mmmmmm mmmm yeah yeah. Take that, Austin Mahone.
Anyway, after we rode the subway to this palace for ancient Korean royalty.



The throne ^^^



 Look at that ceiling! ^^


 Apparently the royalty enjoyed "boating" on this lake. ^^



Lily pads up close are actually rather...overwhelming.

We got SUUUUPER tired of walking, so we went across a super busy street in search of a cafe.

We finally found it in a super-classy museum about King Sejong, who apparently created the Korean alphabet. That's him, right there vvv



The museum was underground, and it had an expensive but AMAZING cafe. My parents bought a strawberry smoothie, a mango smoothie, and a red bean shave ice thing. (I didn't say We bought, because we didn't buy; my parents did.)


 The mango smoothie (seen above) was literally one of the best smoothies I've ever had. It was incredibly smooth and sweet and creamy and bubbly....mmmmmmmmm.


The red bean shave ice had pineapple, red bean, mochi, duk (a form of rice cake that has kind of the same consistency as mochi), ice, and ice cream. The ice cream was catered to the more Korean palate--a little bit icy and less sweet than American ice cream. But it was good, nevertheless :-)



We walked around some more and came across this--a memorial to the people who died in the ferry accident a little while back. I think those wheel-things are bicycle wheels.


We were picked up by somebody we knew, and we had MORE food--mandoo (dumpling) duk gook (soup), and MORE shave ice, but this shave ice...guys, it was heaven.



The brown crumbly stuff on top is part of the duk, and underneath--you can't see it very well--is ice. Apparently they make the shave ice out of frozen milk, and its consistency is thin and--oh my gargoyles, it was seriously the best shave ice I've ever had. I'm not a huge fan of duk, but this ice was to die for.

This one had a block of red bean and more duk. They gave you little cups of sweetened condensed milk to drizzle over the ice.

HEAVEN.


Afterward, we went to this overlook that looked over the city :-) It was beautiful--the perfect end to a day.

I woke up the next morning because food was calling to me. Also, banana milk.

How can I explain this? It's thick and creamy milk, with added banana flavor that I can tell has artificiality to it, but it's still amazing. It's very sweet, which is fine, because I have a sweet tooth.

After, my dad and my brothers and I headed to the DMZ--the Demilitarized Zone, which is basically the mile-wide-strip of land that divides North and South Korea. My dad bought a tour, but before that started we looked around.

 This is the fence--and no, it doesn't actually lead to the DMZ. I think it's just a reminder of the division.



This is an old train that was shot at by North Koreans, I believe.

This is the point closest to the DMZ that tourists are allowed to go. 

There's one long row of telescopes that you can look through (if you pay money) and see the other side. There's apparently a "Propaganda Village," or a really nice town that the North Koreans built to make it look like they were rich. There's also a statue of their dictator on the other side.

We also stopped by this train station that would be used to connect North and South Korea, but it's only a tourist attraction now. Our tour also led us to the Third Tunnel, which was made by the North Koreans, probably as a possible invasion method. We had the opportunity to wear yellow hard hats and trek 1oo-some meters down the tunnel. 

Other stops included tiny museums and a bunch of stores, obvious attempts at getting us to spend money. But I just wanted to call attention to the awesome vending machines they have there.


Look how kool that is! It even gives you change :-) (Do American vending machines do that? I forgot.)

Afterward, we drove to the apartment of someone that we know, and after resting and talking, we ordered DELIVERY JAJHANGMYUN!

Jajhangmyun are black bean noodles. (It's more delicious than it sounds, especially coming from a person who doesn't like beans.) We also ordered this type of fried chicken in sweet-and-sour sauce, and deep-fried mandoo, and fried rice, and Italian tomatoes and lettuce. 


The guy delivered it to us (I think he came on a motorcycle), and most of the foods came Saran-wrapped on plastic dishes that were non-disposable. Apparently, after you're done with them, you're supposed to pile the dishes right outside your door and they come back and pick them up.

It's kind of inefficient, but I guess it's more eco-friendly than if they just delivered it on disposable plates.

But...thanks for listening to my rambling and looking at pictures of food. (Just so you know, I spared you from more pictures of kimbap.) 

Anyway, I'd better go. We're preparing to leave to go to this mountain, which has a water park, which has the biggest waterslide in the world (as of 2010). I'll be MIA for a couple of days, but when I get back I'm sure I'll have a lot to tell you. :-)

Toodles,
~Rcubed~

P.S. Just as I wrote that, I had a dreadfully morbid thought. What if I die on the waterslide? Well, if I do (I probably won't), then I would like everybody who attends my funeral to wear pajamas. I don't know why I want them to wear pajamas--because pajamas are comfortable? And because they're not cliche, like wearing tie-dye T-shirts? I don't know. But just remember: pajamas. Okay, I'm out.


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, it was! Korea is amazing :-)

      Delete
  2. Holy crumbs, I'm so jealous! I want to go to Korea! It seems awesome! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS awesome! I'd definitely recommend going :-)

      Delete
  3. If any of you guys are going to go to Korea, let me know.

    P.S. I KNOW Korea. I AM Korean.

    ReplyDelete