Monday, June 2, 2014

How To Survive Freshman Year (School Series PART ONE)

So I'm kicking off a week-long series in honor of summer arriving in approximately TEN DAYS for me. And what better way to celebrate summer than celebrate school?



Just kidding :-) Well, actually, this post is for the benefit of those entering freshman year in the fall. As many of you may know, I'm just completing it :-)

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

Celebrate good times, come on!

Guys!  I'll be a SOPHOMORE next year! I'll be in double-digit grades! For tweens and teens, remember when you turned ten?  I'll be going into TENTH GRADE!

*whooshes out sigh*

Okay, had to get that off my chest. On to the good stuff!

Do your homework right away. Homeschoolers have it good. They don't have homework. Us public school kids, or private school kids: DO YOUR HOMEWORK RIGHT AWAY. Use thirty minutes to take off your shoes and get a snack, but do those worksheets right away or YOU. WILL. BE. SORRY. (And don't eat while you're doing homework.)

Don't procrastinate on projects. I'm not a HUGE procrastinator--I don't stay up until one a.m. doing homework--but I hate projects as much as the next person. Take advantage of the time you have to do those projects. Forget Tetris (is that what you kids are playing nowadays? *winkwink*) and do that Spanish project. You won't regret it.

If you don't like dances, you don't have to go. I didn't go to ANY dances whatsoever this year. Why? There are several reasons, but one of them is that dances are not my kind of fun. I don't like large, noisy, crowded places; I'd rather stay at home and read. Having a good time doesn't mean you have to be around people all the time; we introverts can have a good time at home. (I know, I'm such a party pooper.)

Start thinking about your future. You start thinking about SATs and AP tests and college. Even though it's only three-four years away, you should still start thinking about what you want to do when you grow up. You can't just throw everything to the wind and par-tay. Act like you're a responsible being.

Take initiative. Maximize your time. During tests, if you finish early, do your math homework, or study for that bio test next period. Please don't just sit at your desk and check Instagram. If you have time, use it.

Be responsible. High school is its own community. It's kind of a model of the real world--there are places you have to go, people you have to see, things you have to do. There are also consequences. If you don't turn in your athletic clearance packet, you can't play. If you don't maintain good grades, you can't participate in extracurricular activities.

DON'T LOOK AT YOUR iPHONE. Seriously. A) It ticks teachers off when you have it out during class, and B) it ticks off all the people who DON'T have iPhones (*cough cough*). Furthermore, you get lose participation points, exemplify your lack of respect, and start to have a tendency to slouch. DON'T LOOK AT YOUR iPHONE.

This is just the beginning. Freshman year is just the tip of the iceberg. Next year, if you take AP classes, you'll be laden with homework. IN THE SUMMER. Freshman year is a transition year. So get used to it :-)

I'm not saying that these are the cardinal rules of life. These are just things I've observed and learned that have worked well for me. They might not work the best for you, but my philosophy is that the human nature is the same, and we all have many of the same shortcomings. Avoid the ditches and potholes, and you'll have a great year :-)

Toodles,
~Rcubed~

P.S. What grade are you going into? Any other advice? Feel free to comment, but please make sure everything is edifying to those around you :-)

7 comments:

  1. Going to ninth grade, but I'm homeschooled so HA-HA-HA SUCKERSSSSS! Lol, just kidding :P I think I'm gonna have homework, but I don't think it will be anything too major. My mom keeps talking about "preparing for the future" and everything, but I'm not even in high school yet so I think I can chill. Actually, going to ninth grade doesn't really matter for me because I'm homeschooled, so there won't be dances or annoying kids and teachers or mad-crazy homework...but I also won't have the fun and excitement of going the first year of high school, so there's pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your time homeschooled...because I was homeschooled for several years, and looking back, I realize that I had all the time in the world! Do what you want now, because you might not have time later :-)

      Delete
  2. High School sounds fun... and hard at the same time. :[]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun for me because I like responsibility and doing things :-) It is hard, though.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the advice, Rcubed! I am going to regular high school this fall, and your advice will definitely come in handy since regular high school is different from homeschool. Thanks again! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I actually wrote this post with you in mind--I saw your post on your blog :-)

      Delete