Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Well, Toto, We Ain't In Kansas Anymoh

In case you were wondering, I purposely misspelled the title of this post.

But it's true, however weird it sounds.

Well, Toto, we ain't in Kansas anymoh.

That's fer certain.

I'm living in Wednesday right now. Yesterday was Tuesday, our first full day here in SK.

So, I will proceed to recount the events of yesterday.

We woke up. Shifted around. Then we all got dressed and walked down a hill/sidestreet that I named Squeeze Alley. My dad calls it Skinny Hill, but I think it should be Squeeze Alley, because A) Squeeze Alley sounds better, B) it's more creative, and C) we squeeze all our muscles when we walk up it. Like our deltoids. Or something.

See, it's extremely steep. Like extremely steep. Forget everything you thought you ever knew about steep, because that's not it. Squeeze Alley is steep (even though it doesn't really look like it in the picture).


Just a couple steps beyond Squeeze Alley and we found a plethora of shops, many of which had rather interesting English names. After crossing an extremely busy street, we found Paris Baguette.


And I ate this:
That's a toasted ham-and-cheese with a thin glaze of marinara and an abundance of creamy, yolky egg salad. Even though it cost $3 for a half, it was really, really good.

My brother had this sausage-cheese thing that looked really good.

And this is a water bottle. The top is rounded, and it's pretty kool, even though it's water and it's just a gimmick. We bought it :-)


After, we rode the subway to the Korean War Museum (I forgot its official name, so that's what we'll call it at the moment.) 

On the way, we saw this:

Can't wait to try that!


This was a giant drum that was made to commemorate a war anniversary. Korea's symbol is the tiger, which is why one is painted on it.


We saw a lot of kids in matching uniforms and backpacks wandering around. The ship shown here is called a "turtle ship."

Here's another ship.

There was also this whole exhibit with tanks and airplanes, and the kool thing was that you could actually go inside most of the tanks and climb on most of the airplanes. In American museums, you can't really do that--we have to "preserve history."


The most touching part of the museum, I think, was this statue. According to the placard erected by it, the two figures in this statue are two brothers, an older and a younger. The older is a South Korean soldier, and the younger is a North Korean soldier, and they're hugging each other.

Imagine if you had to fight the side that your brother was on? 

That's insane.

Afterward we rode the subway to the local flea/farmer's market and had lunch at this hole-in-the-wall place--quite literally, a hole in the wall. There were three walls and it was embedded into a building. And it was entirely run by women--some stirred pots of udon (noodle soup); others made dukbokgi (spicy rice cake). And it was jam-packed when we arrived.


Koreans eat quickly, however, and as soon as six spots opened up, my family took them. It was kind of hot out, so I didn't want to have the udon. I had kimbap instead.



 It was reallllllly good. 

Afterward, we walked around some more. Even though I hate crowds, I really don't mind in Korea. The flea market was exhilarating.




It's one of those places where you can find food, clothes, accessories--anything you could ever want--including this Frozen visor.


You don't even need to go to buy something--you can just look. It's amazing.

We went home and "rested"--except I watched High School Musical 3 instead of sleeping. A bad call on my part, as you'll see.

In the evening, we went to a baseball game! It was the Doosan Bears versus the LG Twins.

And no, there's no city called LG in Korea. Companies own the baseball teams, not the cities. Doosan owns the Bears, and LG owns the twins.

The baseball game was insanely kool.



Here's the thing about Korean fans: they're much, much, MUCH more enthusiastic than American ones--not that American fans aren't enthusiastic. Korean fans are just more so.

Korean games have whole big cheering sections for each team, and most people have those clapper-blow-up-tube things, which they slap together. There are four "cheerleaders"--more like dancers--and synchronized singing, and cheering. To me, watching and listening to the cheering section was a lot more fun than watching the baseball game. Korean fans cheer during the game (unlike American fans), so it was perpetually noisy. They even sang "It's a Small World." I don't know why, but it was fun.


We had to eat dinner, of course. My mom bought these ginormous mandus--Korean dumplings--that were expensive and hot but really good.


We also ate these corn dogs, which were really doughy and not very good because they weren't fresh and the hot dog was just shriveled up and limp inside. The bread was good, though, thanks to the oil and grease.

 Then we got ice cream at Dunkin' Donuts. 

Let me just say something about swirl ice cream. It's practically like chocolate--the vanilla gets mixed up with the chocolate, and it just turns into more chocolate, and it's not good. Not. Good. Vanilla > chocolate.

 Just felt the need to put in my two cents about that.

Right after I ate the ice cream, I started getting sleepy. Like, really sleepy. Like, droop in your seat and wake up suddenly disoriented kind of sleepy. It was supremely weird, because I usually never get that sleepy.

I blame jet lag. And my decision to watch High School Musical 3 instead of nap.

And, of course, it had to be at the point that the game was getting exciting. See, the Doosan Bears were down 6-3, but right when I started falling asleep they tied it up, 6-6.

Their cheering section was blaring their way through the stadium, and I didn't even have to make myself stay awake. Whenever something good happened, the cheering section would get so loud that I'd wake up and watch whatever was happening.

Foolproof method of watching exciting baseball.

And the Doosan Bears won after a walk-off double. It was a beautiful victory, but I was tired.

Very, very tired.

And so we had to walk back and ride the subway. The nightlife was poppin'.


When we got home, I had to take a shower. A SHOWER. I fell asleep and then my dad had to wake me up and I had to take a shower. I was half-asleep when I took it.

And...that's the end.

We were supposed to go to the World Cup viewing, but in order to do that we'd have to wake up at 5, and since I went to bed at 11:30...my parents decided to forego the viewing. But we'll probably go to the next viewing, on Monday, because my dad said we'll regret it if we never go to the World Cup viewing.

So. I'm eating garlic chicken for breakfast.

Peace out and rock the building. And greetings from Oz.


6 comments:

  1. I don't know that I would want to go to Korea but it sure does sound exciting! And lately ever time I read your blog I get hungry. I never knew there were so many things in English in Korea or any foreign country for that matter.

    Have fun, Rcubed! :)

    HP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! And it is very exciting :-) And the food is awesome.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Rcubed! I nominated you for the liebster award!
    http://butterfliesoftheimagination.weebly.com/blog/liebster-award

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS loud in those stadiums!

    And the musics were changed, so they would say the name of the player.

    And each players have their own!

    I know a lot of them.

    Almost all the players'

    ReplyDelete