Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Camp. Camp. Camp. Camp.

There are two types of camp.



The first type is kind of fun--you "rough it" in the wilderness, share a cabin with your friends, and play games and swim in the chlorinated "pond."


http://www.colvigsilvercamps.com/activities.html


The second type of camp can be fun, but it's more...intense than the first camp.

I'm taking two second-type camps.

The first one is my SAT boot camp. After deciding that I didn't have the discipline to study for SATs, my parents enrolled me in boot camp, even though I'm only going to be a sophomore. (So technically I don't need to be in this boot camp this summer. But whatever.) 


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Study_skills#mediaviewer/File:Studying.jpg


Here's what we do:

We take the SAT on Mondays (that's a four-and-a-half-hour test, with one five-minute break), correct the test on Tuesdays, and have writing, math, vocabulary, and critical reading quizzes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

Oh, and I have homework. If you don't do well on the quizzes, you get something called demerits, and in order to fulfill your demerit, you have to redo ALL of the quiz--not just the problems you missed.

It's not going to be fun.

Worse, I'm coming in late--this is the third week of camp. Our decision to enroll me was last-minute, so now I'm in an afternoon class with a bunch of people I don't know, and a ton of incomplete work that I'm going to have to catch up on.

Pros to taking the camp, though, include A) learning Algebra 2 before I start it next year, and B) not having to be disciplined to study on my own.



My second camp is tennis camp.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis

It's kind of a weird experience because since it's run by my high school, I've already done this before (see this post), so I know exactly what we're doing and I know everyone in the tennis camp.  Except the freshmen.

I'm a little scared because I want the new girls to be good and abundant (we've lost a lot of people), but I don't want the freshmen to be better than I am, because I'm a sophomore.

You know?

So I'll have to work on that. I mean, I can't go around being jealous of everyone.

Also, all the freshmen I saw were taller than I was, and half of them are probably older than me. I have a late birthday (September).

I feel so young and goofy.

Tennis camp for returning players starts at 6:15 a.m. in the weight room, and then we have to either run a mile or do sprints, and then we complete tennis drills with the coach, ending at 9. It goes on Tuesdays-Thursdays. So basically the only free days I have are Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Looking forward to sophomore year and what God has planned for me next!








2 comments:

  1. Wow. Homework. In the summer. That's like an oxymoron. But I can't do much talking, because if my mom heard about that SAT boot camp, she'd have me signed up faster than you can say "nightmare". And I'm not even a freshman yet. So I feel sorry for you, but I'd better keep quiet about it, or otherwise my mom will have me hitting the books in summer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll keep my lips sealed shut ;-)

      Delete