Friday, July 18, 2014

Oh My Dear, Hello

Oh my dear, hello.




I thought that maybe I should take the time to tell you guys a leetle beet more about myself. 

Here's What You (Probably) Know/Can Infer From Past Posts:

-I love to write.

-I really like Girl Meets World.

-I'm slightly random.

-I'm quirky.

-I play tennis.

-I'm 14 (soon to be 15!).

-I have 2 brothers and 1 sister.

Here's What You Don't Know:

-I'm Korean. But maybe you could tell that from my recent trip to South Korea. (I mean, why else would my family go?)

-I was born in the U.S., and I can't speak Korean at all, so I'm a Twinkie or a banana. But considering that I don't like Twinkies or bananas, let's just call me a very American Korean. 

-I enjoy reading about theology. 

-I'm probably going to get baptized at the end of the summer at our church retreat. *squee!*

-I haven't opened the cake pop maker I got for--I forgot when I got it. It was sometime in the past two years. 


More on the whole Korean thing...

To be honest, I'm pretty out of touch with my heritage. My parents are both extremely Americanized--neither of them are fluent in Korean, although my mom's better than my dad--and we only speak English at our house. (Because, well, none of us can speak Korean.) We watch Korean dramas and eat Korean food, and that's basically the extent of our Korean-ness. 

The trip to South Korea was kool because first of all, everyone looked like us. Second, it was interesting to see what life would have been like for us if we lived in Korea. It was also pretty weird meeting relatives that we'd never met before, and also hearing about what Korean kids have to do for school. Apparently they go to school, and then they go to an after-school school, and one person we know stays at the after-school school until eleven p.m.

And I'm complaining that I have to stay at SAT boot camp until 5:30!

But after everything, regardless of the awesomeness of Korean food and the sophisticated-ness of the Korean culture, I'm glad that I'm Korean American. It's nice to have a cultural background somewhere other than the U.S. that I can discover and learn about and grow in. And I think that I can use my nationality as a platform to glorify God. I don't know how I'll use it for the glory of God just yet, but it'll give me something more to talk about and ponder on this blog. 


So yeah, guys. I'm Korean.








2 comments:

  1. Wow! I totally didn't know you were Korean! O_o I just thought you went to South Korea for fun. :P Cool to know though! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. We did kind of go for fun, but we also saw relatives. :-)

      Delete