Monday, August 18, 2014

Musing Mondays: "I Don't Have Enough Time"

With the school year coming up, and with it responsibility and burden, I'd like to address something I see a lot at my high school.



"I don't have enough time."

That's what I hear, every day. It's an excuse. An excuse for people not to do their homework; an excuse to themselves, as if they're trying to convince themselves of the actual reason. When people's grades are failing, they confide in their friends and say, "It's because I don't have enough time, you know? With sports and my aunt's wedding, I just didn't have time!"


I live in suburban America. Guerrilla warfare is not raging around us. We are not being drafted into the army. Our freedoms are not being taken away. In fact, our minute teenage issues set the record for being the smallest problems in the world. (I mean, how small is, I'm bored! I don't know what to do!)


So why don't we have enough time?


We are not time-efficient. We all know what time is: seconds, minutes, hours, days. But it's like money: many of us don't know how to spend it. And those of us who do sometimes choose to ignore how we should spend it and instead use time like everyone else does. Here's how I see time wasted:


  • Phones. I live in an affluent area; I'm one of the few people who doesn't have an iPhone, and even then I do have a smartphone, with data. Most people have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Vine, YouTube, and who-knows-what-all. I only have Instagram and YouTube, and even I let it eat too much of my time. Everywhere I go, at lunch and at break, I see people digging out their phones and checking their social media while they eat and talk and interact. It's really ironic.
  • Procrastination. How do we procrastinate? With our phones.
  • Not multitasking. Multitasking, actually, has the potential to be a virtue. Sometimes we don't multitask when we should; for example, if I need to send a text to my mom, I can send it while I'm walking to the tennis courts. However, sometimes I might choose to waste precious study hall time and send it then. I can't take notes or do homework while I'm walking; I can text, though. Little advantages like that can make a big difference and require a great deal of strength to accomplish.

Those are just a few of the reasons we don't have enough time. We don't take initiative. We don't prioritize. I'm guilty of it, too. 

But then, there are some people who really don't have enough time. Those are the people who juggle college with two jobs and an ailing mother. Those are the people who don't have time to check social media, they're so busy. Those are the people who prioritize: make sure what comes first, and what goes last, and who doesn't slack off.

But I'm a high school student. I'm not juggling college with two jobs and an ailing mother. I check social media most days.

It's sad.

Since this blog is by a high school student, most likely you're my target audience--still in school, too. And I'll say this, if you're like me: unless you can truly say that you've spent every second of your time doing the best thing you could possibly be doing at that moment...you have enough time to do whatever your responsibilities are. So get off your phone, and get off this blog, and go do them.








2 comments:

  1. I told my mom that i'm not very good at time management. But i'm pretty good at managing to lose track of time. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I guess you could look at it that way!

      Delete