Monday, September 1, 2014

Musing Mondays // Pure Nostalgia (+ a Really Cheesy Video)

Those days always seem sweeter.





The days when I was younger--four, five, six, seven, even ten and twelve and thirteen--I recall fondly. When I was more innocent, when I knew less about the world and about the extent of human depravity. When I was more distant from reality, when I wasn't quite self-aware in the way that I am now. When I assumed everyone thought the same way I did, and when I wondered why people got divorced and wasted and high and why everyone couldn't just get along. 

I've been listening to the High School Musical soundtracks, remembering all my favorite parts about the movies. I think that I honestly believed what that movie fed me: the lies that high school is always fun, and exciting, and clean. It's not always that way, but I think that real life is better than something on a screen: sometimes cold, hard reality tastes better than fluffy fakeness.


Of course, often times, I wish I could live in the dream world: the world of never-ending singing and dancing, the world where the lines are so clearly defined, and so obviously dumb. The world where society's boxes are fragile and breakable. The world where the lines aren't blurred. 


The world that we don't live in.


"We're all in this together," sings the High School Musical cast, but most of the time, we're not, and it's because of our own sinfulness. We stained a white wall black, and by no amount of halfhearted scrubbing can we make things clean again.


I like reading middle grade fiction and watching Disney Channel because it's so innocent. Even the darkest MG books are lighter than the lightest YA books, and Disney Channel has almost no adult innuendos to speak of. These outlets provide a safe haven for those who aren't ready to face the world yet--those who have no idea of what's lurking out there in the world.


I'm pretty sure I have only half an idea of what's really out in the world, but I've seen enough to know that it's not the rainbowy prism of life that I once thought it was.


And that makes nostalgia all the sweeter. Whenever I listen to High School Musical, I flash back to the days when I thought life could be High School Musical--and, for half a moment, I almost believe it can.


What do you miss about the past?


P.S. Speaking of the past, my old Samsung Galaxy S2 is HISTORY. So here's a quick video I posted on Instagram the other day...

video

:-) Hope you enjoyed that quick glimpse into my wild brain. Anyway, what do you miss about the past?




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I saw a bunch of commercials for that a while ago...its really cool...it's all customizable and everything....awesome...bye....

      Delete
    2. Haha yeah but you have to pay extra.

      Delete