Saturday, December 20, 2014

I Went to Olvera Street!

On Thursday, my Spanish 2 class took a field trip to Olvera Street, which is a cultural street in a city I live near. (Apparently it was the first street ever there. Pretty awesome; I was walking on a piece of history!)




It was pretty kool--our teacher handed us a worksheet and sent us off to explore on our own, which was kind of awesome. No lectures, no sitting in a classroom--just us exploring Olvera Street by ourselves!


NO MATH!!! YAY!!




For some reason our bus had seatbelts, which confused me, because I thought that the point of buses was not to have seatbelts. (Isn't it?) But then I heard that by 2015 or 2016, all schoolbuses are going to have seatbelts.

Wut?!?!?

(I guess I'd rather be alive with a seatbelt than dead without one.) And besides, I'm graduating in 2017. I won't suffer long under this seatbelt-laden regime :-)



We had to fill out a worksheet by going to all the local landmarks.


We heah!


They'd set up a Nativity scene in a pavilion out front. 


Heading there!

We walked up and down the street, and then we went to this churro place that is known for its fresh, hot, filled-or-regular churros.


IT WAS DELICIOUS.

I ordered a caramel-filled churro, because, well, CARAMEL.  It was coated in sugar and it was hot and doughy and ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.


Then we walked around some.





These are ^^ INSANELY CREEPY.



The place wasn't crowded except for our field trip and a couple other schools'. 

It also wasn't really what I'd expected. It was a little less cultural, a little more touristy. We were told to speak Spanish to the vendors (to practice), but they approached us first and their English was the same level as mine. And considering A) I have a blog and call myself a writer, and B) my only language is English...

...well, we didn't speak much Spanish there.

I bought something for my little sister (but shhhhh don't tell her) and wrapped it in the Happy Birthday paper. (It's her birthday soon, so I'll just tell her it's for both Christmas and her birthday.)

Then we went to eat lunch at a cafe.




TACOS: beef, tomato, avocado, and onion rolled into two warm tortillas, with this incredible buttery rice and a cucumber on the side. It was really, really good--salty and hot and creamy (the avocado part) and just basically like heaven in your mouth.


Then we went walking some more.

Some of the vendors had little underground spaces that were PACKED with stuff. PACKED PACKED PACKED. It was kind of insane, the amount of stuff they put in there. How did they keep track of all that?!

The experience was interesting. I guess I don't really like cultural places where they try to sell you stuff at every corner, because I feel like it detracts from the value of the place. At the same time, though, it was kool. We got to go in this little house that was the FIRST HOUSE EVER and it felt like pioneer days. We also went into a very icon-oriented Catholic church that was incredibly quiet but kinda kool at the same time.

It was, however, a little sad to see how the kids at my school reacted to it. Some of them went on a different street and bought Starbucks.

Now, there's nothing wrong with buying Starbucks. I like Starbucks. I've posted several pictures of my various frappuccinos on this blog and Instagram. However, I'm not a fan of buying Starbucks A) when you're on a field trip to Olvera Street and you can get caramel-filled churros, and B) when there's a Starbucks across the street from school. What's the point of going to Olvera Street, then, if you get Starbucks, the very same Starbucks that you can get from the coffee shop across the street? (No joke. You can walk to Starbucks from my high school. Most high schoolers don't even get that.)

So anyway, I was a *little* annoyed at that. 

Then I read Les Miserables and played tennis, went home, studied, went to Chipotle, and studied some more.


I had a lot of Spanish food on Thursday.

But that's totally not a problem. I could eat caramel-filled churros all day long.













No comments:

Post a Comment