Sunday, February 22, 2015

Why Do We Dress Like Hippies? | fashion commentary by rcubed

Recently, I went to Kohls. 

You know, the giant store that Vera Wang and Jennifer Lopez have attached themselves to? Anyway, I needed a couple pairs of athletic shorts, so my mom took my siblings and me there. I chose my shorts, but because my mom was looking for other stuff, I had the chance to pop on over to the juniors' section of clothing. 

It was there that I found the inspiration for this post: why don't I comment on what we teens are supposedly wearing today?

I took a lot of pictures. I'm sure people thought I was being crazy.

But I'm going to tell you the verdict beforehand: FLORAL.

Basically every single thing in there was floral. I'm not even kidding. Look at all these:



(I was wearing this, by the way. An old soccer T-shirt with old gym shorts and $8 sort-of-Toms knockoffs.)







How do they expect us to walk in those?


That's better.


They're like pajama pants...except they aren't.



Flowers.


Flowers.


Flowers.


Flowers.


Hippie jewelry is coming in too, Cimorelli-esque.

Wow. This explains why I'm not considered stylish. If I'm honest, I probably wouldn't wear anything shown above. Maybe some of the earrings and the longer jeans shorts, but those pajama-pants-that-aren't-pajama-pants? And that blue floral top?

Wow, wow, wow. (Please note I'm not trying to rake down anyone's style; I'm just kind of trying to figure out our generation's fashion sense.)

It's funny to see how people have changed--or haven't. People in my parents' generation used to wear things like this:




Actually, on second thought, I'm not seeing much of a difference between our generation and our parents'.

I'm pretty sure, though, that crop tops and high-waisted shorts and whatever on earth we wear are going to fade away. And our kids'll be like, Mom, what were you WEARING? (I actually don't keep up with fashion trends, and hopefully soccer T-shirts and gym shorts will still be a thing in the future.)

But we'll be like, Look, our eyebrows are so on fleek! and our kids'll groan and we'll look at each other and burst out laughing, and then my husband (or somebody) will be like, "Remember Ariana Grande? And, like, Taylor Swift?" and one of my kids will be like, "Who are those?" And then we'll say, "Do you guys know what Trivia Crack is? Or an iPhone?" And they'll be like, What's that?

And we'll just look at each other and say, "Man, you have so much to learn."













19 comments:

  1. Haha....lol, I actually like wearing "pajama-pants-that-aren't-pajama-pants" or also known as drapey pant--so. so. so comfortable. It's like wearing pj's outside :-) Also love those shorts ^^

    Well, we definitely have different clothing styles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's called a drapey pant? Haha. I could never pull it off; I'm sure you do, though!

      Delete
  2. I always wondered why everyone likes that fashion too. I mean, I like a little floral here and there, but some people, wow.

    Trivia Crack, lol. Does everyone have that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Trivia Crack is the total thing. I deleted it because I thought it was boring and why play TC when I could be writing/answering comments/reading, but all the kids in my youth group play it, for some reason :-)

      Delete
    2. I love Trivia Crack, but I didn't realize just how popular it is. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes omg I've always thought about how weird it will be that kids in the next generation will think Beyonce and skinny jeans and Instagram and iPhone are "like so old-fashioned". It just doesn't make sense! (At least not now, haha)

    And, yeah, I don't like floral that much either. It's just too busy for me. But, I mean, I don't really see that many teen girls (at least around my hillbilly town) wearing floral...? But, idk, you're from the cooler part of the U.S. so you would know better than me haha. But those shorts omg >_< I'm not allowed to wear short-shorts anyway but even if I was, I wouldn't want to..bleh

    (why do I always post like an entire blog post in the comment of your blog? xD)

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sure region definitely has something to do with it. You guys are probably wearing warmer clothes than we are, lol, which I'm kind of jealous of right now because we don't get very many cold days here :-( And the trends are probably different, too; I don't think we're necessarily cooler...we're more like hotter, because it's so warm here.

      Haha, get it? My pun? And don't sweat the blog posts; I love it when people write long comments!

      Delete
  4. We were talking about that the other day! My mom suggested at my wedding (in like five hundred years) my husband and I should do a "Love is an Open Door" and all of the adults would wet themselves. And then my brother was like and the kids would be like what's going on...? Mom what are they doing?
    And I was thinking, what will my kids think of stuff like Trivia Crack or Instagram or like Pinterest! Will that even be around? If the future is like that, I know why my parents laugh at glass ketchup bottles.

    And why is floral such a big thing? It kills me! My grandmother wants to buy me a bunch of floral stuff and I kind of nervously laugh and she understands. AND PLEASE LET TSHIRTS AND GYM SHORTS LIVE ON.

    Great post! (and I think I wrote a book....) :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgar, Love is an Open Door...Lol. I should totally do that too, and we'll all crack up.

      Get it? *crack* up? Trivia Crack?

      I'm so kool. Two puns in two comments. Must be a new record.

      Delete
  5. DEM LEG WARMERS THO.

    Floral is a thing here to. "How do they expect us to walk in those?" - I wonder as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    I hope soccer T-shirts and gym shorts live on for a loooooong time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like leg warmers and long socks! I used to think they were weird, but now I'm not so sure--they look pretty comfy.

      I think soccer T-shirts and gym shorts will live on for a long time, because I'm sure people wore those in the 80s. It's one of those classy looks, y'know?

      Delete
  6. Yeah. I don't understand most of the clothing in stores currently. -.- And I like most of the patterns, but then they're see-through, short, skimpy, and just plain immodest. Gah. It's hard to find clothes.
    (And it must be warm where you live because you're wearing shorts. I'm jealous. xP)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome.post. So, true, that the same styles keep going and coming back!!! I actually dress hippie a lot of the times ON PURPOSE. But that's my style :) I like weird, abnormal, bright, anything that makes a statement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an awesome style! I totally wish I could pull the hippie look off.

      Delete
  8. Hey! Visiting from the GTW link-up.
    Yeah, I'm not into fashion very much so this was interesting. I would imagine that it did make some people wonder what was going on to see you walking through the store taking pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not into fashion either, which is why I commented on it haha! And yes, I'm sure people thought I was being weird...#bloggerprobz

      Delete
  9. I like your sense of humor:) You are a good writer and I liked this post... found myself genuinely agreeing with everything you said - which is rare, so consider yourself duly complimented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That's honestly one of the best things someone could say to me :-)

      Delete
    2. Absolutely.

      Also, I'm one of the participants in the GTW linky party, too... Guess I should've mentioned that...

      Delete