Saturday, March 21, 2015

INDIAN WELLS + RUNNING MY FIRST EVER 5K + STUFF THAT WENT DOWN TODAY


Last weekend was a bit of a crazy one.

We'll start with Sunday because the pictures were uploaded in that order.

SUNDAY!

Do you remember me telling you guys about how my tennis team is training to run a 5k?

Well, we did it on Sunday!

It was actually kind of fun. I don't like running, but when you're running in a giant group with a bunch of other people and they make a big deal out of it, it's pretty easy to withstand. 



The sunrises have been really pretty lately :-)


The starting line...

I basically only took a couple pictures because, well, it's a run. There's not much to take pictures of. People running?

Holla.

I finished in 26 minutes and 38 seconds (it's 3.1 miles long), but I think my biggest achievement was that I didn't stop once during the run. The course was fairly flat, so I was able to keep it up, and I finished ahead of the rest of my team...minus the coaches, who are really good runners.

Praise the Lord I made it through. 

SATUDAY!

Rewind a day before to Saturday, where we went to this tournament located in Indian Wells. It's technically called the Paribas-Something Open, but everyone just calls it Indian Wells. After the Open tournaments in Australia, France, and here in the US, and Wimbledon (in England), Indian Wells is the next-largest tournament. All the well-known people are there. You know, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka, Serena Williams...the list goes on and on.

Professional tennis tournaments are actually really kool for several reasons, one of which is that there are several different matches going on at the same time. There are 6 or 7 stadiums of tennis matches going on, along with a bunch of practice courts, so the crowd gets spread out a little bit. Stadium 1 is the largest and the only one with assigned seating; the rest of the stadiums are first come, first serve, which means if you go early, you can sit right behind the players.

It's kind of surreal, to be honest, because these are the players that you see on TV, and they're quite literally ten feet in front of you, and they're playing, and you're all like YEAHHHH and next time you watch TV, you can be like, Hey, I saw that player! 

It's not like baseball or soccer or football where you're just one in thousands of people concentrated in one stadium. Spectators actually get pretty close to the court.



There was a tunnel that ran under the street.


First match we saw. I forget what the person's name was, but he was ranked in the top 30 and his last name starts with an F. I think he's Italian. As you can tell, my brain is not working right now.


He won!


This is Stadium 1. It was sweltering hot, but we went to watch Nishikori because he's Asian (as many Asian tennis players as there are, there aren't very many good professional ones). He won!


Look at all the people!

I wasn't a huge fan of Stadium 1. Crowds just aren't my thing.


A bogus part about professional sports is that the food is SO STINKING EXPENSIVE. Since the restaurants in there have monopolies over basically everything, the people can charge whatever they want and we still buy it because there's no place else. This slice of pizza (it's a Costco-sized one, thank gargoyles) cost $6.

At least I didn't have to pay for it, haha.


Frozen lemonade is seriously the best thing ever.



This was Maria Sharapova VS somebody else...(I never remember anyone's names.) Sharapova's my favorite women's player, but the funny thing was, she and her opponent were wearing the same exact thing except for their visors. Since we were so far up, sometimes it was hard to see which one was which. 

Another match--it was Sara Errani versus a Chinese player--had on the same exact outfit. I don't know, maybe their sponsors thought it would be funny to play a trick on the watchers and have people dress like twins? Maybe it was Twin Day?

Who knows what goes through the minds of salespeople, really.


I "took a picture with Maria Sharapova." You just need to zoom in a little.

After we watched a nail-biting match between Ferrer and someone else (Ferrer won in tiebreak, but we didn't stay until the end), we went to this Korean restaurant with our friends.


It was actually a pretty fun day, and nobody thought that my dad was my boyfriend, thank gargoyles. I learned, though, that I can't stay in one place for more than one set, mostly because it gets boring sitting there in the sweltering heat watching the two same people battle it out. I think that's mainly the reason why I don't like sports--I get kind of bored.

I call it a gift, but in this case, it was a curse because I had to stay with the group.

---------------------------------

Today was interesting.

Today is Saturday, in case you weren't sure or it's Sunday in your time. It's 9:17 p.m. right now, and I've just had a slightly weird day. (Like always. It's kind of normal for me now.)

It was fairly uneventful, except for a few things. When I was working at the Snack Shack, we couldn't figure out how to make a properly hot Cup O'Noodles and I somehow got the cash register stuck and the thing wouldn't pop out (luckily, an adult came in and helped us). And tonight at Denny's, there was a slight blackout of maybe thirty seconds. It was interesting. One minute the lights were on, the next there weren't.

I'm too tired to recount all the stories, and I have to make my Spanish flashcards and do worksheets for Chem, but rest assured that A) it was fun, and B) all's well that ends well.


Thanks for reading! 













3 comments:

  1. YASSSSSS FROZEN LEMONADE YASSSSSSS. And omg someone once thought your dad was your boyfriend? Weird. Although I HAVE seen people that think my MOM is my dad's DAUGHTER--she looks really young for her age--but that's kind of different haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Whispers* I find tennis boring to watch. Sorry! Sounds like you had fun though!

    Once someone thought I was my sisters mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5k's are the best thing ever! I'm on my school's cross county team, and the 5k is my favorite distance. I just really love long distance running a lot. Don't even ask me about sprinting, though. I might keel over from fright if you do. I'm not very good at tennis, but it is pretty fun for me once in a while. It looks like you had a ton of fun watching professional tennis players.

    Oh...Chem worksheets...fun...I've been neck deep in Chem as well. I just can't wait for spring break to come because I'm feeling very drained with school recently.

    Also, I feel really bad for not responding to your CP question earlier. Time flew by, and I was like...wait, where'd all that time go? But I responded now. I'm really sorry about that. :P

    ReplyDelete