Tuesday, March 31, 2015

on spring break, summer + planning

GUYS SPRING BREAK STARTS ON SATURDAY (well technically Monday but we all know the weekend counts) AND I AM PUMPED.

It feels like it's been, like, ten weeks since I last had a weekday off, when in reality it's only been a month. (A month?!) And technically, I guess you could say with state testing and all that good stuff I've had a couple of days off, but not really. It was kind of those in-between periods when you're just like "yes? no? break? homework? what?" and don't really get anything done.

But the state has finally decided to recognize an official break from school, and I am pleased to announce that...well, I already announced when my spring break began.

Spring break is kind of weird. It's one of those things that different states/countries schedule kind of whenever. I know some people had it last week, some people had it two weeks ago, some people have it in two weeks. Some people's lasts for a week, some people's for two.

Mine lasts one week, and it begins on Saturday. In case you didn't know already.

(I am JUBILANT. If you haven't read any of my other angsty posts in which I complain about school for 50% of my word count, you should probably know that February/March were NOT good months for me, in terms of school.)

Anyway, unfortunately, for spring break, I will not be sitting back and relaxing. My dad decided to take my family + my grandparents + my grandma ALL to Yosemite National Park!

He said that he's going to rent a 12-passenger van and we won't be allowed to use our phones and stuff, which stinks, because I just added 10 new songs to my playlist when I should have been doing homework and I need time to adjust to the raging guitars of Fireflight. (I'm trying to get myself used to rock music, mostly because it seems like all the cool indie people listen to rock, so I'm like, yay! rock! but I really like Skillet and Fireflight).

Anyway, family time! Fun!

Actually, I'm pretty excited. Yosemite isn't my favorite national park that I've been to (ZION IS LIKE THE BEST NATIONAL PARK EVER), but I haven't been there in a couple of years so my perception of it will probably be different. Hopefully for the better. All I remember is that A) I tried my first-ever slice of Spam there when I was like nine or something, and B) the squirrels there are vicious. Like seriously vicious. They run around inside restaurants and stuff and it's really quite scary.

I am excited. And unfortunately, I decided not to beg my dad to let me bring my laptop because I know that I need some time away from it. It's not that I'm addicted to it; it's just that I'm starting my third draft of edits on my book (I finished the second draft. It's almost as bad as the first one, which is part of the reason why I'm not celebrating so much, because isn't the point of edits to make your book BETTER?) and I see things better when it's on paper. Like, in front of me. I think I'm going to print out the first couple of chapters of the book and edit it on my lap in front of me. I'm also going to print out some plot articles and bring a notebook, because heaven knows my plot needs work. Also my characters.

Also basically everything about my book??!!

I'll also probably be doing some homework or studying a driving handbook or lugging my Euro study guide book things along with me so I can study for the AP Test. The AP Test is on May 8th. It's only a month away, and there's a lot of material to cover. A lot. 

No matter! It's still spring break, and I won't be sitting in a desk!

Then there's the whole matter of summer. After spring break ends, it's crunch time except for Memorial Day (which is a paltry Monday, and I'll probably have some test the next day and will be studying) and I have my first-ever AP test and then there'll be finals in June and I'll be freaking, freaking, freaking out because my grades are all pretty borderline. (And don't even get me started on college. Sophomore grades actually count. THEY ACTUALLY COUNT. You can't even begin to understand how badly I am handling this fact of life.)

Anyway, back to summer. During summer, I will be extraordinarily busy, mostly because (I'm making a list.)

  • AP summer homework
  • SAT classes (I know, I know, I took them last year, but I didn't even need them last year, Not sure why I took them, because I'm taking them again.)
  • Driver's ed (I ranted about driving the other day. It was really spectacular and everyone told me I should be worried. This calmed me down somewhat. Thank you, Ally R. and everyone who told me that it isn't as bad as it seems.)
  • Tennis camp. (I'm determined to get good.)
  • basically, life.
  • Writing. Blogging. THIS.
  • Other Stuff.

So, since I'm anxious for it to be summer, and since I don't want to waste one bit of my summer because it is SO PRECIOUS, I have been making plans. Tons of plans, ideas. I think my brain needed something to do besides study trigonometry (which, by the way, seems easy when you first start it and then turns on you once you get deeper into it). I made a list of what I wanted to do, and then now I'm going to have to go back, add stuff to it, and then delete all the things that I can't do. Because I've learned that I have to be realistic now. I'm very realistic now, a lot more realistic than I was before.

Facts Of Life That Are Very Real: (things that I'm addressing to myself, not to you, despite the second person)
  • These Grades Count So You'd Better Study Your Tush Off.
  • When You Start Driving Your Dad Will Have To Pay 2X The Amount Of Driver's Insurance. Plus Your Living Expenses. Plus Your College Tuition, Room, And Board, Which Is Why You Must Learn To Be A Little More Outgoing And Get Hired As A Resident Assistant In College So You Save More Money.
  • You Think That High School Means You Grow Up, But In Reality It Means That You Wish You Were In Elementary School Again.
  • You Only Live Once So Try To Get Into UCLA While You're At It.
  • Salted Caramel Frozen Yogurt Is Delicious, Especially When It's On Sale.
Which, by the way, I have a whole rant on college coming soon, so stay tuned.

This is fun.

I actually think this is a legitimately intriguing post. I hope you enjoyed it. I know I enjoyed writing it. 

Because really, I am freaking out as much as this post entails, but I think part of every student likes freaking out about this. It's kind of like sitting through a suspenseful movie. Except you're the protagonist, the odds against you are higher and meatier than any Chicago gang mob, and you're not sure you're going to come out of this alive.

Like one of my teachers would say,

Good times. Good times.






2 comments:

  1. BUT ROCK IS THE BEST. I love rock! I can give you rock band suggestions! I have an exam on the 8 of May as well haha. This is the year my exam results matter as well, and I'm starting to freak out because I need to lift my merit grades, but I don't know how I can fit more study in arg.

    My winter break starts tomorrow, but I'm going to study for a couple of hours everyday to try and get ahead in some classes.

    Good post! So glad I'm not the only one! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAT VACATION YOU ARE SO LUCKY. My spring break was a couple weeks ago but all I did was sit in my pajamas and struggle with my hair the whole time.

    But "summer" and "homework" though *cries* And wow 10th grade sounds hecka hard for you but you're handling it pretty well. If school ever got that hard for me I'd fail for sure because I have literally NO study ethic whatsoever and would just be going on a wing and a prayer.

    Happy spring break though! Have fun! :D

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete