Friday, June 26, 2015

FIRST TRIP OF THE YEAR! + SAT Prep Class

FIRST TRIP OF THE YEAR!

Today I'll be going with my brothers and my church youth group on our youth group retreat to a wondrous place in between a lake and a mountain. We're renting twelve-passenger vans and carting about twenty of us over there for the weekend :-) It's going to be SO MUCH FUN and I'm really hyped because it's the first of several little trips I'll be taking over the summer. 

Needless to say, I'll be a little MIA over the weekend (my phone'll be handy, though, just not my computer) and I'll come back on Sunday with plenty of pictures and anecdotes to share!

On that happy note, I started SAT boot camp this week.

If you do not know what the SATs are, let me acquaint you with them very quickly:

1. I don't know what "SAT" stands for. "Standardized American Test"? And I'd really prefer not to Google it right now.
2. Every high school student in the U.S. has to take them whether they like it or not. (And 100% of all high school students in America would choose not to take them, if they had the choice.)
3. It tests you on Critical Reading (basically you read long boring passages about random stuff like dark matter and answer complicated questions about it), Math (Geometry + Algebra; simple except for the fact that I'm awful at math), and Writing (grammar. my strong point). Total, it's out of 2400 (but don't worry, there aren't 2400 questions on it. It's graded weirdly).
4. If you want to get into a good college, you've got to get a good SAT score, which is kind of like 2100+. A perfect score is 2400. 
5. I am not going to get a 2400.

The SATs are awful. Which is why I'm taking yet another boot camp this year (I took it last year, which was a waste of time, money, and willpower, mostly because I'm not going to need the skills until junior year).

It's not really as bad as it was last year, though. For some reason four and a half hours of every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday goes by pretty fast, and my classmates are now basically my age, which makes me feel more comfortable around them. Last year they were a year older than me, and I felt it. I felt it bad.

I'm also working a lot harder this year because, well, I'm taking the SAT this fall and I have to do well on it or else I'll have to retake it in the spring...and they're changing the format of the SAT in the spring. 

Yes, they're CHANGING THE TEST ON MY YEAR. I'm class of 2017. They're also changing the PSAT on me too.

It basically stinks, but that's okay. I'm not worried. I'm sure I'll go to college somewhere.

Anyway, sorry for this rambly and ranty post with no pictures. I'll have more sophisticated posts next week, promise. 

THANKS FOR LISTENING!




4 comments:

  1. That sounds so much fun! The trip, not the SAT :P But I've been there. I've actually taken the SAT and ACT. Take a couple of practice tests! They help a lot. And good luck! Tests aren't fun, but they're kind of necessary for that whole college thing... :(

    Also, I've nominated you for a thing if you feel up to it: http://thescribblingsprite.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun on your trip! Sounds like a lot of fun!
    I took the SAT 10, which was hard but muuuuch easier than what your gonna take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that you're practicing for the SATs. I'm probably just gonna take them and get a bad grade be like "oops." It won't be on purpose, of course, but I feel like school itself will make me psychotic enough that I won't need the SAT burden either. Also, I don't know if I'm going to college anymore...I'm like 150% sure I won't be getting any full-ride scholarships to anywhere, and if college entails student loans, then I'm not doing it. I don't wanna start my adult life with massive debt. so idk

    (also why did I type all this random thought into this comment like what even I'll find the door now)

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't understand the american education system xD Have fun on your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete