Sunday, July 19, 2015

Thoughts From the Night Before // RACHEL TAKES HAWAII


I mean, it's technically only 4:17 pm where I live, but the sky outside is gray and there are actually clouds *gasp* so I'm just calling it the "night before."

Anyway, how's everyone doin'? Are you all staying stellar? I feel like I haven't posted in a while, even though I posted on Wednesday...Oh, and sorry for the lack of a Friday post. I just kind of felt like I needed a little break before I started this whole posting-every-day shebang.

TOMORROW IS THE DAY.
We are leaving for Hawaii tomorrow at 5:40 a.m., which is really early considering that I hate waking up early and it's summer. But it's worth it. We'll be flying 5-6 hours to the GREAT and WONDERFUL of Oahu in Hawaii of the great United States of America and we'll be arriving there around lunchtime in Hawaii. Since it's 3 hours behind Pacific Coast time, I'll be like two whole days behind some of you. But that's okay.

I'm actually really excited. The older you get, the less hyped up you get for things like vacations and birthdays, but I'm incredibly excited. It'll be my first time there, and thus far I only have a couple of ideas about what it's like. Sunny! Island! Everyone walks around in his or her bathing suits! Surfing! Sharks!

Ahhhh right...sharks.

If you were to ask me right now if I was scared of getting eaten by a shark, the answer is that I'm not. Despite the fact that there were shark attacks in the Carolinas, despite the fact that I recently saw Jaws, despite the fact that I saw a little special on the TV channel NatGeo concerning shark attacks in Maui, I am not scared.

I don't know. It's strange. Maybe I'm finally becoming logical. But the truth is, there is very little chance that I or anyone I know will be bitten by a shark. The reason why it seems like there are so many people who've been bitten by sharks is because that's all they show on TV. They never show the unbitten people because, well, where's the fun in that?

After that rant, some shark will probably come up on my surfboard and bite me and bark (or whatever sharks do) out, "YO! I'M MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU THINK! SO THERE!"

Do sharks bark?

I don't really know, but it rhymes.

My dad has this whole itinerary planned out. We'll be visiting Pearl Harbor and going snorkeling and exploring the beach and going to a luau and a pineapple farm and swimming with dolphins and stuff. My father is a very organized person--

--aaaaaand it's raining outside. Wow. California weather is bipolar, I swear. It's been gloomy all day but humid and sweltering hot and--

--well, why am I thinking about this? I'll be in HAWAII tomorrow. HAWAII.

HAWAII.

HAWAII.

If you stare at that word enough it stops making sense.

HAWAII.

HAWAII.

HAWAII.

HAWAII.

HAWAII.

Wow, the rain's getting loud. I was going to go for a run, but I guess I can't. Shucks.

*sarcasm*

HAWAII.

WOW, IT'S ACTUALLY REALLY RAINING HARD. 

I kind of want to open my window right now. 

HAWAII.

HAWAII.

DUDE IT'S FLOODING THE STREETS.

HAWAII.

Lol, there's going to be a bunch of posts on Instagram about it raining in California. And all the YouTubers are going to be like, "Omg guys, it rained!"

Well, actually, we're in a drought right now, so this is good.

RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*does random rain dance outside*

It rained yesterday too. We had a youth group picnic yesterday and we played zorb soccer--if you don't know what zorbs are, here's a picture--


IT WAS LIKE THE BEST THING EVER. One of my youth group leaders teaches math at a high school, and her school owns some zorbs, so she borrowed them and let us use them and it was hilarious. You have to strap yourself in and kick the ball around, only you keep on bumping into other people. If you bump hard enough, you can knock the other person down and it was SO FUNNY. I didn't even really care about the soccer part; bumping people down was the bane of my zorbish existence.

I'm kind of on the short side (5'1"), and so I was very foolish and tried to bump into this guy in our youth group who's almost six feet tall and built like an almost-football player and I literally bounced off. It was hilarious. And amusing. And painful. 

If you fall the right way, those things HURT. Your legs are kind of hanging out, because you have to run, so your knees get a real beating, and also your tush. My knees got all dirty and gross and they started to hurt, but hey--what's a little pain? 

I have a decently okay pain tolerance (especially for piping-hot items--I take really hot showers and have a tendency to carry hot dishes), but I hate falling. Zorb soccer made it really fun to fall, so I think maybe I'm okay with falling now. I don't know.

Anyway--what was I talking about? Rain? So it started to rain, and then the zorbs got all grassy and stuff, and they were pretty disgusting but by that time we were done with the zorbs and on to the relay races, so it was fine. (Although shoutout to my wonderful and amazing youth group leaders, who literally organize EVERYTHING and are so stinkin' AWESOME).

The rain's tapered off.

I should go. I need to pack and clean my room and stuff. But I just wanted to check in. Also, I want to say bye. BYE TO MUNDANE EXISTENCE, ON TO THE SENSE OF DISCOVERY AND ROMANTICISM THAT PERVADES MY LIFE, AND HULLO (like british people in books) TO ADVENTURES!

Also, bye in case our plane crashes. You never know. 

Actually, that's kind of depressing. I'll just say ALOHA in case our plane crashes.

"Aloha" means both hello and good-bye.

So you really don't know what I'm saying right now, do you?

That's all right. I don't really know either.


4 comments:

  1. Can I just express how much I love your blog and your humor? I'm quite sure the word Hawaii will never look the same to me again. xD
    I hope you have a terrific time on your vacation!! ^-^
    xo Adaline

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts when you just sort of brain dump ♥ Have fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Hawaii!!! And literally zorb soccer sounds like best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete